Type of entity
Authorized form of name
48th Battalion C.E.F. Association
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The 48th Battalion C.E.F. Association was formed in Vancouver in 1936 by members of the 48th Battalion (3rd Canadian Pioneers). The men had been holding reunion dinners at the Hotel Georgia in Vancouver from 1933. In 1948 a Victoria branch was formed and a reunion dinner was held on June 26th commemorating the day of departure of the Battalion in 1915. Annual dinners were held in Victoria thereafter on the Saturday closest to June 25th. In 1953 a bronze plaque memorial was placed in the Parliament Buildings in Victoria and an unveiling ceremony took place on November 11, 1953. A ceremony before the plaque took place in the June of each year, the day before the reunion dinner. By 1977, after the death of long time Association secretary Al La Fortune and all but three remaining members, the current president Frank Hayward began to wind up the affairs of the Vancouver branch of the Association. The Victoria branch had about six surving members by this time and were also winding up. The association records were sent to the Victoria branch around 1980.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Name taken from Association 1948 directory
Created by: khughes.