RBCM Archives

Series GR-0544 - BC Provincial Museum : correspondence of the director

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

BC Provincial Museum : correspondence of the director

General material designation

  • textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Attributions and conjectures: Title taken from the GR numbers book.

Level of description

Series

Reference code

GR-0544

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1919-1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    British Columbia Provincial Museum

Physical description area

Physical description

13 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

British Columbia Provincial Museum (1967-1987)

Biographical history

The museum was established in Victoria on October 25, 1886, as “Provincial Museum of Natural History and Anthropology.”

In 1967 a new Museum Act (15 16 Eliz. 2, c.41) was introduced. Under the new act, the museum's objectives were "to secure and preserve specimens and other objects which illustrate the natural history and human history of the Province" and "to increase and diffuse knowledge in these fields by research, exhibits, publications, and other means." The new act was introduced at a time when the museum was moving to new quarters from the east wing of the Parliament Buildings and it broadened the museum's mandate. Specifically, it allowed the museum to devote itself not only to ethnology and natural history, but also to the modern social and industrial history of the province.

The name was changed again on October 13, 1987, to “Royal British Columbia Museum.”

Custodial history

Scope and content

The series consists of correspondence files created by the Director of the Provincial Museum between 1919 and 1967. The director from 1919 to 1940 was Francis Kermode and from 1940 to 1967 it was Dr. G. Clifford Carl. The files contain letters both to and from the Dept. of the Provincial Secretary, written by the Director and senior curatorial staff at the Provincial Museum. They are arranged chronologically from 1919 to 1967 with the addition of a final file that specifically covers Centennial Committee correspondence from 1956 to 1959.
The correspondence mainly deals with administrative and financial matters but also includes information about museum security, the acquisition and collections of specimens, artifact loans and various reports on activities, equipment and staff.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Acquired by the Provincial Archives around 1979, probably directly from the BCPM.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

There are file level descriptions.

Associated materials

See GR-0078 and GR-0111 for related records.

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession number(s): GR-0544

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: GR0544-0001