Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- graphic material
- textual material
- multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Attributions and conjectures: Some photographers associated with these records include R.L. Colby, F.W.E. Round and B.H. Atkins.
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Ministry of the Provincial Secretary and Travel Industry. Film and Photographic Branch
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
The series consists of photographic negatives and prints produced by the Film and Photographic Branch and its predecessor agencies including the Dept of Trade and Industry and the photographic branches of the Dept. of Recreation and Conservation and Dept. of Travel Industry between 1943 and 1985.
The series consists of still photographs, both colour and black and white, created for tourist promotion and provincial publicity; for the requirements of other departmental branches; and for the requirements of other government departments. The records document people, scenery, local industry and events in BC. Subjects include fishing, logging, agricultural and manufacturing activities, facilities and equipment, employees and craftspeople, cities, towns, and villages, citizens, ferries, historical buildings and tourist sites, schools, museums and tourist bureaux, offices, fairs and parades, livestock, geographical features (such as mountains, rivers and seascapes), bridges and highways, stops of interest signs, recreational activities (such as skiing, fishing and boating) and aerial photographs of settlements and regions.
There are also promotional images of a varied non-geographical nature, subjects include politicians and civil servants, BC products, flags, government facilities and staff, unidentified RCMP officers, industrial activities, and wildlife. There are three main subsets of the records, colour photographs arranged by the regional category and non-geographic subjects and then by number; black and white photographs arranged by the regional category and non-geographic subjects and then by number with a "B" prefix; black and white "archived" photographs arranged by regional category and non-geographic subjects and then by number with a "B" prefix and an "A" attached to the number.
There are printed item level indexes to the colour and the "archived" black and white photographs and a list of photographs and black and white copy prints of politicians and civil servants. These indexes and copy prints are in container 002340-0510.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
- No access restrictions apply.
- Records in cold storage are not accessible.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
- A detailed box list is available. (PDF version)
- Selected images and item descriptions are available on the BC Archives visual records database.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Ministry of the Provincial Secretary and Travel Industry. Film and Photographic Branch (Creator)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Trade and Industry (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Recreation and Conservation. Photographic Branch (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Travel Industry. Film and Photographic Branch (Subject)
- British Columbia. Ministry of the Provincial Secretary and Travel Industry. Film and Photographic Branch (Subject)
- British Columbia. Government Information Services (Subject)