RBCM Archives

Fonds PR-2160 - John Veillette fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

John Veillette fonds

General material designation

  • graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PR-2160

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [1893?-1930s] ; 1969-1974 (Creation)
    Creator
    Veillette, John William Joseph, 1948-

Physical description area

Physical description

302 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Veillette, John William Joseph, 1948-

Biographical history

John Veillette was a museum technician in the Ethnology Division of the British Columbia Provincial Museum in the 1980s. He was also the author (with Gary White) of the book "Early Indian Village Churches: Wooden Frontier Architecture in British Columbia" (1977) and other publications on heritage churches and cemeteries.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of original and archival photographs showing Indian village churches and other heritage structures in British Columbia. Most of the photos were taken by John Veillette in the years 1969-1974. These images depict buildings at Alkali Lake, Barkerville, Bonaparte, Copper Creek, Hagensborg, Hagwilget, Hazelton, Kitseguecla, Merritt, Nicola, 150 Mile House, Quick, Red Bluff (near Quesnel), Savona, Skookumchuck (near Mt. Currie), Smithers, St. Mary's Reserve (near Cranbrook), and Telkwa.

The fonds also includes older photos of churches and other buildings at Atlin, Kitwanga, Prince Rupert and area, Saanich, Seal Cove, Smithers, Vancouver Island, and Victoria. These photos were copied from source images at the Diocese of Caledonia Archives and from other (unnamed) sources. One photo (from the 1930s) shows the Art Deco styled Vancouver Art Gallery building.

Some of the church photos were featured in the book "Early Indian Village Churches" (1977).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by John Veillette, 1986-1990.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


  • No access restrictions apply.
  • Conservation restriction: material in cool or cold storage requires special retrieval and handling.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication


  • Copyright in donor's own photographs (1969-1974) assigned to the BC Archives, 1987.
  • Images from the Diocese of Caledonia Archives are for reference only.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Archives code(s): 198602-023, 198703-001, 198709-008, 198711-010, 199001-004, 90-9573.

General note

Accession number(s): 198602-023; 198703-001; 198709-008; 198711-010; 199001-004; 90-9573

Conservation

Graphic material may be in cool or cold storage. Contact staff for specific details.

Physical description

The fonds includes 81 b&w negatives, 183 b&w prints, 1 hand-tinted b&w print, and 4 contact sheets (containing 37 images).

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area