Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- textual material
- graphic material
- multiple media
- architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Liquor Control Board
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Liquor Control Board (which superseded the Prohibition Commissioner) was established on 13 April 1921, by order in council (OIC 512/21) and the passage of the Government Liquor Act (SBC 1921, c. 30). This act, by establishing a Liquor Control Board, repealed the British Columbia Prohibition Act (SBC 1916, c. 49).
The functions of the Liquor Control Board were to establish and manage all government liquor stores, establish all necessary warehouses for the storing and bottling of stocks of liquors, authorize and issue liquor permits and enforce all provisions of the Government Liquor Act. In order to carry out these functions, the board was also responsible for hiring staff. The board consisted of individuals appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council. The 1921 Government Liquor Act specified that there was to be a board, consisting of three members with one member appointed chairman. In 1932, this was changed to state that the board was to consist of “not more than three members” (SBC 1932, c. 160). In practical terms, as a result of the 1932 change, the board usually consisted of one member who also served as the chairman.
In 1973, the Liquor Control Board was dissolved and its functions were split into two agencies. The Liquor Administration Branch, under the position of the General Manager, became responsible for all functions relating to the management and administration of government liquor stores, and issuance of permits. The British Columbia Liquor Board became responsible to hear and receive submissions respecting any matter arising out of the administration of the Government Liquor Act, to make recommendations to government, and to hear and dispose of appeals of decisions of the Liquor Administration Branch (SBC 1973, c. 37).
Scope and content
The series consists of selected Liquor Control Board (LCB) correspondence files, club licence files, and beer licence files created between 1925 and 1954.
The correspondence files are arranged by LCB file number and include records relating to the establishment of liquor stores, imports, prices, protests and prosecutions. The files also include Chairman W.F. Kennedy's correspondence between 1932 and 1951, correspondence with other government departments and miscellaneous correspondence.
The Club licence files contain the club constitution, lists of members, description of premises, etc. Beer parlor licence files may contain blueprints, inspection reports, descriptions of premises, etc. Both sub-series contain physical descriptions and floor plans and are arranged by LCB file number. Photographs from the beer licence files have been transferred to Visual Records accession 198702-013.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication