Title and statement of responsibility area
Mary Hamilton interview : [Orchard, 1966]
General material designation
- sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on item contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1966-02-02 [date recorded] (Creation)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
RECORDED: [location unknown], 1966-02-02 SUMMARY: TRACK 1: Mary Hamilton recalls early years on North Pender Island. Her father, Alexander Hamilton, who was trained as a stone mason, settled on North Pender Island permanently around 1902, when Mary; was eleven; she had previously spent summers on the island. She describes her family settling on the island; methods of clearing land; early families; Bracketts; Taits; Pollards; wildlife; food supplies; Indians; domestic chores; entertainment; schools; 24th of May; neighbours; social life; ministers and missionaries. TRACK 2: Miss Hamilton continues with a description of ministers and missionaries; her father's character; residents on the other Gulf Islands; stone quarries on the islands; Saltspring Island Dairy; Rutherford Hope; David Hope; the propagation of the "Hope Apple"; Mr. Buckley; the Grimmer family; Menzies; politics; schools; island settlement and population growth; Corbett's store at Hope Bay; Browning Harbour; Percy and George Garrett; hand-logging; rum runners.;
Immediate source of acquisition
Imbert Orchard, 1974-1975
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
- Complete transcript on file.
- Reference cassette copy available in container 000443-049.
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
- Copying Restriction: Clients requesting research/private copies must fill out CBC form.
- Use Restriction: Not for broadcast or commercial use without written permission of the CBC.
- Copyright Status: Copyright Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
Accession number(s): T0810
Orchard ; G-31/1-2
speaker: Mary Wallace Hamilton, interviewer: Imbert Orchard, sound recording: Ian Stephen
Standard number area
Subject access points
- Frontier and pioneer life--British Columbia--20th century
- Fruit-culture--British Columbia
- Gulf Islands (B.C.)--History
- Gulf Islands (B.C.)--Social life and customs
- Logging--British Columbia--Gulf Islands
- North Pender Island (B.C.)--History
- Quarries and quarrying--British Columbia DNU
- Smuggling--British Columbia