Title and statement of responsibility area
Maude Eighmey McVicker fonds
General material designation
- textual material
- graphic material
- multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[187-?], 1908 -1952 (Creation)
- McVicker, Maude Eighmey, 1867-1952
Physical description area
13 cm of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
McVicker, Maude Eighmey, 1867-1952
Maude Eighmey McVicker was born in Ida, Monroe County, Michigan, in 1867. She worked as a newspaper reporter in Ohio in the 1890s and moved to Victoria in the early 1900s. She married her second husband, Alexander Charles McVicker, a construction engineer and farmer, in 1907. Between 1907 and 1941 the couple lived in Victoria, Saanich and Metchosin, before settling in Parksville in 1941. Mrs. McVicker owned a second-hand store, later called The Hobbies Shop, which she ran in Victoria and Parksville. Mrs. McVicker was one of Emily Carr’s correspondents and is mentioned in her writings.
The fonds was acquired at an unknown date by the father of Gail Morris. She donated it to the Royal BC Museum in 2006.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of a painted, cedar box, which contained correspondence by Emily Carr and others to Mrs. McVicker, publications by Mrs. McVicker, newspaper clippings about Carr, a wood doll reputed to have belonged to Carr, a 1908 framed photograph of Carr and her pet crow, and a framed artwork. The box may have been painted in 1949 by George Clutesi with Haida designs copied from a 1905 publication by John R. Swanton. The box and the doll were transferred to the Human History Division of the RBCM.
Immediate source of acquisition
The textual records were rearranged by material genre (letters, publications and so on) and date.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some portions of the fonds requires advance notice for access and viewing. Please contact staff for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accession number(s): 95-1700
Use photocopies of records in Folders 1-6.