Showing 7875 results

Authority record

Godenrath, Percy Francis

  • 1173
  • Person
  • 1874-1944

Percy Francis Godenrath was born in Shanghai, China in October 1874. He lived in Victoria for a time working for the Board of Trade. In 1914 he enlisted with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. In 1915, he reenlisted from New Brunswick, along with his wife Eva, who served as a nurse. Godenrath served overseas with various battalions including the Canadian Record Office in London and was promoted to Captain. He was demobilized in December 1919 and was the Officer in charge of the Canadian War Memorials Exhibition. He died in March 1944 and is buried in Mount Royal Cemetery.

Booth, Alfred Edmund, 1892-1977

  • 11732
  • Person

Alfred Edmund Booth was an enterprising man who tried several careers before he became a filmmaker. He emigrated from England to British Columbia in 1912 and got his first job surveying for a fruit irrigation company in Kamloops. Shortly after that he worked for several logging operations on the coast. In 1915 he moved to Vancouver where he was employed as head mechanic for a brewery company, a job that he stayed at for over three years. During this time he married Grace Ellen Greer, began a family, and settled in Vancouver. Because of Booth's experience in the automobile business he was asked to organize chapters of the Vancouver Club, forerunner of the B.C. Automobile Association. He was successful and, in the process, learned about road conditions and services for motorists. This knowledge, combined with his enthusiasm for B.C.'s outdoors, led him, in 1928, to found the "B.C. Sportsman Club". The purpose of the club was to promote the development of facilities for fishermen, hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts. To publicize B.C.'s outdoors Booth photographed wildlife and scenery and this led, by happenstance, to motion pictures. In 1929 he entered a contest sponsored by a Minneapolis sports magazine that offered a motion picture camera for the best outdoor photograph. He sent in some photographs and won the prize, a German made 16mm Agfa Ansco camera. From then until the 1950s, when he retired, taking motion pictures and exhibiting them was his main occupation. Booth initially shot film as a hobby, for example, bringing the camera along on his travels to capture scenery and resorts. By the mid 30s he recognized the commercial possibilities of motion picture film. In particular, he thought motion pictures would be a good way to promote British Columbia as a place for tourism, recreation, settlement and investment. Coming from England he was impressed by the natural resources and undeveloped state of his adopted land and identified a need to publicize this potential. In about 1937 Booth formed a company, Travel Films, and set about to market his films. He sought financial support from businessmen and government and was successful in 1939 and 1940 in getting contracts from the British Columbia government. The contracts payed him to take his films on the road and exhibit them across B.C., the prairie provinces and parts of the United States. The government also acquired copies of Booth's films for its promotional library. Booth also shot films for sponsors. This may have been his biggest source of income, but no records survive to show how much. Known sponsors include the Anglican Church's Columbia Coast Mission which contracted him to film its medical and religious services for isolated coastal communities. Other sponsors were, reportedly, the B.C. Tree Fruit Board, Pacific Petroleum of Alberta, Frasea Farms, B.C. Natural Gas, Canadian Scottish Regiment, Canadian Pacific Airlines and the Canadian government. Mining concerns and companies associated with the 1955-56 Ripple Rock project may also have supported some filming. Of the completed sponsored films, only those of Columbia Coast Mission are known with certainty to have survived. Along with the surviving out-takes of other productions, they provide the only confirmation of this kind of filming work. Booth's last known filming was about 1957. After 1957 Booth attempted to get some of his films exhibited, but not with much success. Undoubtedly the availability of films about British Columbia with sound tracks had long undercut his filmmaking. During his retirement he moved to Lillooett for several years, then returned to the coast and lived in a retirement manor until his death in 1977. Both in Lillooet and at the retirement manor he tape recorded reminiscences of his life in British Columbia. The reminiscences reveal his fascination with the history and geography of British Columbia, but they give little detailed explanation of his film work. When he moved to Lillooet his films were taken and cared for by various family members. By then the films were in a very fragmented state, and they were stored unused except for perhaps a few ad hoc family viewings.

Goodfellow, John Christie, 1890-1968

  • 1174
  • Person
  • 1890-1968

John Christie Goodfellow served as Presbyterian minister at Port Moody and Ioco, 1923-1925, and then as United Church minister at Victoria, 1925-1927, and Princeton, 1927-1948. He remained at Princeton until his death. He published several works on the history of the Similkameen area and the history of the United Church in British Columbia. In the 1930s, Goodfellow was secretary of the B.C. Conference Historical Society.

Gordon Head Women's Institute

  • 1175
  • Corporate body

The Gordon Head Women's Institute on Vancouver Island was established in 1909.

Gordon, Alice

  • 1176
  • Person

Alice Gordon was a resident of Victoria, B.C., and had friends at the Red Cross outpost at Cecil Lake.

British Columbia Archives and Records Service

  • 11765
  • Government
  • 1989-1998

On March 1, 1989, the Provincial Archives of British Columbia was merged with the Records Management Branch of the government of British Columbia to form the British Columbia Archives and Records Service (BCARS). In 1996, BCARS was united with the Information and Privacy Branch of government. The resulting organization was called the BC Information Management Services (BCIMS). This was divided into two sections with Information and Analysis Services providing for records management and information and privacy and Archives and Information Access branch representing the traditional archives as it existed before its merger with the records management branch in 1988. This administrative structure lasted for two years until 1998, when the Information and Privacy Branch was removed and the remaining portions were renamed the British Columbia Archives. This structure existed unchanged until 2003 when the British Columbia Archives was merged with the Royal British Columbia Museum as a branch of the Royal British Columbia Museum Crown Trust and the Records Management branch remained with government.

Gordon, Anne

  • 1177
  • Person

Anne (McQueen) Gordon taught school in Nicola before her marriage. In Victoria, she was involved with community and women's organizations.

Alexander, George J.

  • 11773
  • Person

George J. Alexander (1891-1980) served in the Provincial Dept. of Fisheries as Assistant Commissioner, and later Deputy Minister, from 1934 until his retirement in 1956. He was also an amateur photographer and filmmaker. Working from his home, he produced at least three completed films for the department, showing various aspects of the commercial salmon fishing industry in B.C. Prior to his public service appointment, Alexander was employed by the Canadian Fishing Company.

Aluminum Company of Canada Limited

  • 11776
  • Corporate body

Name changed in 1925 from Northern Aluminum Company. Name changed in 1971 to Alcan Canada Products; however, some documents continue to bear the name Aluminum Company of Canada. A subsidiary of the holding company Aluminium Limited (founded 1928) which changed its name in 1966 to Alcan Aluminium Limited. This is the company which controls all operations outside the United States; in the U.S., it is called Aluminum Company of America. Documents by this body are found under the name used at the time of their creation.

Gordon, William Adam

  • 1178
  • Person

William Gordon was charged in connection with the disappearance of his partner, Isaac Jones.

British Columbia. Railway Dept.

  • 118
  • Government
  • 1911-1959

The Railway Department was established in 1911 with the enactment of the Railway Department Act (SBC 1911, c. 45). The mandate of the Railway Dept. was to regulate all railways falling under the jurisdiction of British Columbia Railway Act (SBC 1911, c. 44). This included the regulation and inspection of industrial railways (logging and mining) and electric street-car and interurban systems, as well as improvements to terminals and to combined railway and highway bridges. Railways which operated under federal charter came under federal regulation.

In 1959, the Railway Department Act was repealed and the functions of the Railway Dept. were transferred to the newly created Dept. of Commercial Transport (SBC 1959, c.12).

Governor Douglas (Ship)

  • 1181
  • Corporate body

The Governor Douglas was a ship based in New Westminster, B.C.

British Columbia. Dept. of Travel Industry. Special Services Branch

  • 11817
  • Government
  • 1974-1975

Formed in 1974 when the Film and Photographic Branch was split into two components, the first retaining the name Film and Photographic Branch and the second with then name Special Services Branch. In 1975 the branch was brought under the Dept. of Recreation and Travel Industry.

Gowlland, John T. E.

  • 1182
  • Person

John T.E. Gowlland was a sailor who served as assistant master on the Ganges and the Plumper.

Grace Darling (Ship)

  • 1183
  • Corporate body

The Grace Darling travelled from San Francisco to Departure Bay under the command of Captain David Gilmore in 1875-1876.

Graham Island East Coast Farmers' Institute

  • 1184
  • Corporate body

The Graham Island East Coast Farmers' Institute represented farmers and agricultural interests on the east coast of Graham Island in the Queen Charlotte Islands.

CKDA (Radio station : Victoria, B.C.)

  • 11842
  • Corporate body

CKDA was established as Victoria’s second radio station. It eventually opened on January 18, 1949, after four applications to the CRTC. The first managing director was its founder, David Armstrong, for whose name the “DA” in CKDA stands for. By 1950, CKDA had news programing every hour, on the hour. In 1953, both the station and its sponsor, Woodwards Stores, got into trouble with the phone company after blocking most of the city’s exchanges when testing the “Teleopinion” program.

In 1954, Armstrong applied for, and received, the province’s first FM license, and CKDA-FM went on the air later that year. Also that year, the CBC approved the change of the licensee’s name from David Armstrong to Capital Broadcasting System. In 1976, the CRTC denied CHQT Broadcasting Ltd’s application to purchase the station, citing its lack of local participation, as the company was based in Edmonton. In 1985, Armstrong, president of Capital Broadcasting, passed away. However, only a year later, Wayne Stafford made a bid to purchase the station, which was strongly opposed by most quarters, and in 1987, Chuck Camroux purchased a quarter interest of the station with the Armstrong family retaining the remainder. By 1995, the CRTC had approved a reorganization of Capital Broadcasting, which led to OK Radio Group purchasing CKDA-AM, and the station left the air. It returned as a country music station, operating under the call sign CKXM.

CKNW (Radio Station : New Westminster, B.C.)

  • 11844
  • Corporate body

CKNW, owned by William Rea Jr., received a license to operate at 250 watts on 1230 kHz on April 1, 1944. The transmitter was to be placed on Richmond’s Lulu Island. Daily broadcasts, originally from New Westminster’s Hotel Windsor, commenced on August 15, 1944. The station was unique in that it ran hourly news broadcasts between 6 am and midnight, and twenty-four hour broadcasting commenced in 1947.

In 1945, the provincial government certified Local 23757 of the Radio Station Employees Union as the sole bargaining agent between management and employees of CKNW, as well as of several other stations.

1948 brought several changes to the station. CKNW received permission to operate an FM station in Vancouver and was approved to operate at 1000 watts of power and move to 1320 kHz. During severe flooding, CKNW stayed on air throughout the disaster by raising its transmitter eight feet off the ground. This was not the station’s only encounter with natural disasters, and in 1962 it claimed to be the only station north of California to remain on-air overnight during Typhoon Frieda.

In 1950, CKNW opened a Vancouver studio at the Alexandra Ballroom, and on the same night, the main studios were officially opened in New Westminster. Three years later, CKNW branded itself as the top station in both Vancouver and New Westminster.

In 1954, the station was forced to relocate to the “Danceland” Dance Hall on Alexandra Street in Vancouver after fire destroyed much of the studio and equipment, although the station returned to the air an hour later.

The station was sold in 1956 to Frank Griffiths and the Ballard family, and two years later moved to 980 AM, at which time CKNW boasted 301,188 daily listeners.

In 1967, the station moved studios from 227 Columbia Street to 8th Avenue and McBride Boulevard, but in 1969 moved again to a former grocery store building on McBride. A further move took place in 1996 to Vancouver’s Pacific Centre on Georgia Street.

In 2007, the station was disciplined by the CRTC for rebroadcasting a feed from sister station CINW Montreal that revealed the location of students hiding from the Dawson College gunman. It was ruled that the attacker may have had accomplices elsewhere in the country.

Results 211 to 240 of 7875