Showing 7893 results

Authority record

100 Mile House Women's Institute

  • 347
  • Corporate body

The 100 Mile House Women's Institute was established in 1950 in the Cariboo District and was disbanded in 1956.

140 Mile Women's Institute

  • 348
  • Corporate body

The 140 Mile Women's Institute was established in the Cariboo District.

153 Mile Store

  • 349
  • Corporate body

153 Mile Store was a retail store and post office on the Cariboo Road.

48th Battalion C.E.F. Association

  • 37689
  • Corporate body

The 48th Battalion C.E.F. Association was formed in Vancouver in 1936 by members of the 48th Battalion (3rd Canadian Pioneers). The men had been holding reunion dinners at the Hotel Georgia in Vancouver from 1933. In 1948 a Victoria branch was formed and a reunion dinner was held on June 26th commemorating the day of departure of the Battalion in 1915. Annual dinners were held in Victoria thereafter on the Saturday closest to June 25th. In 1953 a bronze plaque memorial was placed in the Parliament Buildings in Victoria and an unveiling ceremony took place on November 11, 1953. A ceremony before the plaque took place in the June of each year, the day before the reunion dinner. By 1977, after the death of long time Association secretary Al La Fortune and all but three remaining members, the current president Frank Hayward began to wind up the affairs of the Vancouver branch of the Association. The Victoria branch had about six surving members by this time and were also winding up. The association records were sent to the Victoria branch around 1980.

Aaronson's Drug Store

  • 351
  • Corporate body

Aaronson’s Pharmacy is located in Victoria, B.C. and was founded in 1910 by Bert ‘Doc’ Aaronson. Ownership of the drug store was later assumed by Aaronson’s son, Gordon, in 1950. It was sold 20 years later to Larry Thorne. The drug store provides a range of services, including veterinary compounding.

A.B. Sanderson and Company Ltd.

  • 38499
  • Corporate body
  • 1955-1974

A.B. Sanderson and Company Ltd. was incorporated in 1955 by Adrian Barclay Sanderson, with A.L. Carruthers as an associate. Prior to starting his own firm, Sanderson had been for many years with the British Columbia Highway Department, where he served for a time as Assistant Bridge Engineer for the province. Carruthers was formerly Bridge Engineer, Chief Engineer, and Deputy Minister of the British Columbia Highway Department.

The company specialized in bridge building, working on major projects such as the Agassiz-Rosedale Bridge and the Alexandra Bridge. They were also involved in a number of Canadian National Railway projects, including work on the tunnels in Vancouver and Burnaby.

The company merged with Ker, Priestman and Associates in the early 1970s.

Aboriginal Sports and Recreation Association of BC

  • 194
  • Corporate body
  • 1989-

Aboriginal Sports and Recreation Association of BC (ASRA) was established as a non-profit society in 1989. ASRA has played a leadership role in the development of the Aboriginal sports movement in BC and Canada, and the establishment of the North American Indigenous Games (NAIG) and the Aboriginal Sport Circle (ASC).

Academic Board for Higher Education

  • 353
  • Government
  • 1964-1978

The Academic Council of British Columbia was established in 1978 as a crown corporation under the Colleges and Provincial Institutes Act (SBC 1977, c. 67). The council replaced the former Academic Board for Higher Education, established in 1964 by an amendment to the Universities Act (SBC 1963, c. 52). The function of the Academic Council was to coordinate academic, technical, and career programs in community colleges and in other provincially funded training institutes. As well, the council monitored admission and transfer arrangements between colleges, institutes and universities. The Academic Council was abolished in 1983, at which time many of its duties were assumed by the Academic Technical Programs Branch of the Ministry of Education. In 1989, the new Ministry of Advanced Education and Job Training established the British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfers to assume the functions of admissions and transfers.

Academic Books

  • 37627
  • Corporate body

Academic Books was based in North Vancouver in the 1980's. It dealt in the sale of manuscripts.

Academic Council of British Columbia

  • 307
  • Government
  • 1978-1983

The Academic Council of British Columbia was established in 1978 as a crown corporation under the Colleges and Provincial Institutes Act (SBC 1977, c. 67). The council replaced the former Academic Board for Higher Education, established in 1964 by an amendment to the Universities Act (SBC 1963, c. 52). The function of the Academic Council was to coordinate academic, technical, and career programs in community colleges and in other provincially funded training institutes. As well, the council monitored admission and transfer arrangements between colleges, institutes and universities. The Academic Council was abolished in 1983, at which time many of its duties were assumed by the Academic Technical Programs Branch of the Ministry of Education. In 1989, the new Ministry of Advanced Education and Job Training established the British Columbia Council on Admissions and Transfers to assume the functions of admissions and transfers.

Accommodation and Real Estate Services

  • 38303
  • Government

Accommodation and Real Estate Services (ARES) is the successor body to the British Columbia Buildings Corporation. It was created by the Public Agency Accommodation Act, which received assent on March 28, 2006. As of 2016, ARES operates within the Ministry of Technology Innovation and Citizens' Services.

Adams Lake Women's Institute

  • 354
  • Corporate body

The Adams Lake Women's Institute was established in the North Okanagan District in 1949.

Adamson, Amy Lindesay

  • 16223
  • Person
  • 1909-1984

Amy L. Adamson was born in 1909 in Edmonton, Alberta. The family moved to Victoria in Adamson’s youth. She was the youngest of four children.

Adamson was a student at the Victoria School of Art in the late 1920s and early 30s where she was recognized for her artistic skills. She went on to attend the California College of Arts and Crafts in Oakland and the Chelsea School of Art in London. She also worked with children at the Royal Drawing Society while living in London. In Victoria, Adamson worked at the Norfolk House School and was the President of the Old Girls Association in 1939.

Adamson worked in watercolour, oils, and printmaking. She sometimes etched Christmas cards and calendars. In 1934, she also designed book covers for the Boys and Girls Library at the Oak Bay Library . In 1939, she designed and published a map of Victoria, BC.

Adamson died on December 28, 1984 and is buried in the Holy Trinity Anglican Cemetery in Saanich, BC.

Adilman, Tamara

  • 18447
  • Person

Tamara Adilman was a researcher associated with Simon Fraser University.

Adolph, Val, 1936-

  • 27950
  • Person

Val Adolph was a researcher who actively used oral history techniques.

Advisor to the Government in relation to the Forest Resources of British Columbia

  • 38328
  • Government
  • 1958-1959

The position of the Advisor on Forest Resources was created by Order-in-Council 3125 on December 19th, 1957 and took effect on January 1, 1958. The Honourable Gordon McGregor Sloan was appointed Advisor for a term of ten years.

The role of the Advisor was to conduct studies and inquiries into the problems affecting the forestry resources of the province including the granting of rights and licences to forest lands and timber; the conservation, management and protection of the forest resources in the province; plans to regulate or promote sustained yield, forestation; research into forestry; matters affecting forestry which involve the relationship between the Provincial and Federal Governments; forestry education and instruction; uses of forest crop; soil and water conservation; use of forest lands for purposes other than forestry and contractual arrangements within the forest industry.

The advisor had the powers, protection and duties conferred under the provisions of the "Public Inquiries Act" and was appointed a Royal Commissioner under that act. The office was physically located in the Central Building in Victoria and several staff were appointed.

Between February and November 1958 Commissioner Sloan held four public hearings in Chilliwack and Victoria and produced various reports. These were known as the Royal Commission on Forestry, projects 1-4.

Project 4 was halted in November 1958 due to Sloan's ill health and he died in 1959. On July 27, 1959, Judge C.W. Morrow was appointed Commissioner under the "Public Inquiries Act" to complete the work of project 4. Morrow commenced hearings in September 1959 and produced his report on December 31, 1959.

Advisory Board of Women's Institutes of British Columbia

  • 358
  • Corporate body

The Advisory Board of Women's Institutes of British Columbia was established in 1911. The board advised the Superintendent of Institutes on issues relating to women and women's institutes.

Results 1 to 30 of 7893