Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Dept. of Health Services and Hospital Insurance
Physical description area
Microfilm (neg.), 16 mm [B11010]
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dept. of Health Services and Hospital Insurance was established in 1959 in accordance with the Department of Health Services and Hospital Insurance Act (SBC 1946, c. 31). The Dept. of Health Services and Hospital Insurance was the successor to the Department of Health and Welfare which was originally responsible for both the functions of public health and social welfare. (SBC 1959, c. 38). In 1959, the functions of health and social welfare were separated to form two new departments, the Dept. of Social Welfare and the Dept. of Health Services and Hospital Insurance.
The newly named Dept. of Health Services and Hospital Insurance was originally organized into three branches: health, mental health services (transferred from the jurisdiction of Provincial Secretary), and hospital insurance service. Another government reorganization in 1972, and a major review of provincial health services, eliminated the Mental Health Branch by assigning its resources to various components within the department. The department was renamed the Dept. of Health in 1973 (SBC 1973, c. 109).
Scope and content
This unit consists of cards relating to closed licensed child care facilities, day care facilities 1967-1980 and summer camps 1954-1974. The facilities were licensed under the Welfare Institutions Licensing Act of 1938 until 1969 when it was replaced by the Community Care Facilities Licensing Act.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from the Ministry of Health, 1984.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other acts and access may be restricted. Please contact the BC Archives to determine the access status of these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accession number(s): 91-3167; G84-200