Type of entity
Authorized form of name
British Columbia. Government House
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1865, the residence known as Cary Castle (built 1859) was purchased to serve as the official residence of the Governor of Vancouver Island. In 1871, following Confederation, Cary Castle became Government House and served as the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of the province of British Columbia.
In 1899, Cary Castle was destroyed in a fire. Francis Rattenbury and Samuel Maclure were hired to design a new house to be built on the same site, which opened in 1903. In 1957, it was likewise destroyed in a fire. Construction of a new Government House began shortly thereafter and closely followed the Rattenbury-Maclure design. The building opened in 1959.
Government House is the office and official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia, and the ceremonial home of all British Columbians. Government House records consist of the administrative and operational records of the Government House. These operations consist of administration, event coordination, grounds maintenance, security, and other activities. The records of Government House do not include the records of the Office of the Lieutenant-Governor, which are captured under schedule 112912.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created: SBUTTERFIELD 2018-01-16
ARIS Name Authority