Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia Pulp and Paper Company Ltd.
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Incorporated (Dominion of Canada) on December 24, 1925, the company was organized to acquire the assets and operations of Whalen Pulp and Paper Mills Ltd., which were sold at public auction in October 1925.
The company owned three mills and townsites at Woodfibre, Port Alice and Swanson Bay, B.C. It also owned the power generation and distribution systems, and controlled timber lands by lease from the B.C. government and other interests.
In the late 1940s the Koerner brothers of Vancouver decided to expand into pulp production and began to negotiate the purchase of the British Columbia Pulp and Paper Company Ltd. from the Isaac Walton Killam Group. In the Toronto-based Abitibi Power and Paper Company Ltd. they found a partner to help finance the purchase. In 1950 this purchase was completed, and the combined properties of the Koerners’ Alaska Pine Company Ltd. and the British Columbia Pulp and Paper Company Ltd. were merged. On April 25, 1951 the British Columbia Pulp and Paper Company Ltd. became Alaska Pine and Cellulose Ltd., with ownership shared between the Koerner interests and Abitibi.