Title and statement of responsibility area
Cache Creek School District records
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Cache Creek School District
Physical description area
10 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Cache Creek Boarding School was built in 1873 and the Board of Trustees was appointed in 1874. The purpose of the school and the subsequent school district was to serve the isolated settlers of the south Cariboo area. The first board members were Senator C. P. Cornwall, Mr. C.A. Semlin, James Campbell and Philip Parke. In 1875 there were 45 pupils present at the school.
Scope and content
The series consists of minutes of Board of Trustees' of the Cache Creek Boarding School (1876-1877), minutes of the Trustees of the Cache Creek School District (1892-1929), and an account book of the Cache Creek Boarding School (1873-1889).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions apply. These records are subject to the Copyright Act. Conservation restriction: use microfilm copy.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Other records relating to the Cache Creek Boarding School are located in GR-1713 and GR-0080. For further education records see AAAA0597, Ministry of Education fonds, and the fonds of individual school districts.
No further accruals expected.
School districts were first created in British Columbia under the Common Schools Ordinance, 1869, as the basic administrative units of the public school system. Prior to that, school districts were established in the Colony of Vancouver Island under the Common Schools Act, 1865. School district status was available under the ordinance, at the request two-thirds of the resident householders, if there were at least 12 children between the ages of 5 and 18. Some funding was provided to cover teachers' salaries until 1872 when the Public Schools Act (SBC 1872, c. 16) was revised to provide full subsidization to authorized school districts. Amendments related to school districts were made to the act over the years. In 1906, an amendment to the Public Schools Act (SBC 1906, c. 39) provided for two types of school districts: municipal school districts (including rural municipality school districts) and rural school districts. Larger, regionally defined school districts were established in 1946 in response to the Cameron Report (Public Schools Act (SBC 1946, c. 64). For more information about the history of the Dept. of Education and its predecessors prior to 1946, see: The school record : a guide to government archives relating to public education in British Columbia, 1852-1946 / Patrick A. Dunae. Victoria : British Columbia Archives and Records Service, 1992. The preservation microfilm was previously numbered as microfilm reel 98A.
Mf reel B10993(6) originally catalogued as 98A.
Archives code(s): Call numbers and dates of records in this fonds are: GR-2059 [textual records] 1873-1929; Briefly known as AAAA0533.
Accession number(s): K/H/C111a; GR-2059