Title and statement of responsibility area
Correspondence relating to the Royal Visit, 1939
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Provincial Police Force
Physical description area
36 cm of textual records, 1 reel of microfilm [B08467]
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The British Columbia Provincial Police Force was established in 1871 under its first name, the British Columbia Constabulary. Prior to that, policing in the Colony of British Columbia was the responsibility of the Chief Inspector of Police (1858-1863) or Superintendent of Police (1863-1871) and in the Colony of Vancouver Island by the Commissioner of Police (1858-1866). In 1871, when the Colony of British Columbia joined confederation as a province of the Dominion of Canada, the police came under the authority of the Attorney-General. The reporting structure required the Superintendent of Police to report to the Attorney-General. The constables were under the direction of the government agent of the district who reported to the Superintendent. The mandate of the British Columbia Constabulary was to maintain peace and order and to enforce the laws of the province under the authority of An Act respecting Police Constables (Statutes of British Columbia, 48 Vict., c. 22, revised 51 Vict., c. 96).
In 1895, under the new Provincial Police Act (SBC 1895, 58 Vict., c. 45) the name was changed to the British Columbia Provincial Police Force. The duties of the force included patrolling the land, waterways, and coastline, enforcing laws, maintaining peace, policing strikes, controlling smuggling, and generally enforcing provincial statutes. Special constables were also deployed as required.
The administration of policing was divided into a variety of police districts, which changed over the years. The 1923 Police and Prison Regulation Act (SBC 1923, c. 57) led to the reorganization of the 16 district headquarters into four main divisions. "A" Division was divided into Victoria and Vancouver subdivisions. "B" Division had its headquarters in Nelson and included the following districts: Boundary, Fernie, Northeast Kootenay, and West Kootenay. "C" Division had its headquarters in Kamloops and included the following districts: Kamloops, Lillooet, Vernon, and Yale. "D" Division had its headquarters in Prince Rupert and included the following districts: Fort George, Hazleton, Peace River District, and Prince Rupert. There was also a separate Liquor Branch. The provincial headquarters and Police Superintendent's office remained in Victoria (see the 1924 Superintendent of Police report in the BC sessional papers for further details).
In 1946, the force policed all rural areas and unincorporated settlements as well as forty municipalities throughout the province. The British Columbia Provincial Police Force ceased to exist in 1950, when provincial policing was taken over by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Custodial history unknown, records accessioned in 1975.
Scope and content
The series consists of correspondence relating to the Royal Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to British Columbia in 1939.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other acts and access may be restricted. Please contact the BC Archives to determine the access status of these records.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accession number(s): 75-G-070