Title and statement of responsibility area
Correspondence subject indexes
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series,
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
18 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1976, the Dept. of Forests was renamed the Ministry of Forests (OIC 3199/76). The Ministry of Forests was responsible for the management of forest and range resources of the Crown and the planned use of such land in accordance with the Forest Act and Department of Forest Act. The department was also responsible for encouraging maximum productivity of those resources and encouraging a competitive timber processing industry in the province.
The functions of the Ministry of Forest remained basically the same for the next ten years. Up until this 1976, the Forest Service remained a distinct service within the Ministry, and was led by the Chief Forester/Chief Executive Officer. The executive of the Forest Service was composed of the Chief Forester/CEO, Assistant Chief Forester (Operations), Assistant Chief Forester (Resource Management), Director of Services and Director Range Branch.
In 1977, the divisions included: Reforestation, Forest Service Training School, Inventory, Resource Planning, Special Studies, Engineering, Information, Comptroller, Protection, Administration, Valuation, Personnel and Research. The forest districts were: Vancouver, Kamloops, Prince George, Nelson, Prince Rupert and Cariboo.
The passage of the Forest Act, the Range Act and the Ministry of Forests Act in 1978 completed a transformation of the BC Forest Service into the Ministry of Forests. The reorganization that followed replaced forest districts with forest regions, however, the boundaries and the names remained the same. Central services were provided to the forest regions by the headquarters in Victoria. Four divisions included Finance and Administration; Operations; Timber, Range and Recreation; and Forestry. An assistant deputy minister headed each Division and reported to the Deputy Minister. Under each of these divisions were a series of branches, each headed by a director. The Operations Division was responsible for all of the forest regions. Two exceptions were the Information Systems Branch and the Strategic Studies Branch, whose directors reported directly to the Deputy Minister. The goal of this reorganization was to decentralize decision-making and centralize support services.
In 1986, as a result of government reorganization, functions relating to Crown lands, taken from the Ministry of Lands, Parks and Housing, were merged with all forestry functions. As a result, the Ministry of Forests was given the new name Ministry of Forests and Lands (OIC 1491/86).
Name of creator
The Dept. of Forests was established in 1975 (OIC 3838/75). Prior to 1975, the responsibility for forests in the province was carried out by the Forest Branch under the Dept. of Lands and Works (1871-1908) and later under the Dept. of Lands (1908-1945). The Forest Branch was renamed the Forest Service under the Dept. of Lands and Forests (1945-1962) and retained that name under the Dept. of Lands, Forests, and Water Resources (1962-1975).
In 1975, the Dept. of Lands, Forests and Water Resources, was dissolved, and its functions were evenly distributed between the Dept. of Environment, and Dept. of Forests. As a result, the Forest Branch and all forestry functions were transferred to the newly established Dept. of Forests. It was responsible for the management of forest and range resources of the Crown and the planned use of such land in accordance with the Forest Act and Department of Forest Act. The department was also responsible for encouraging maximum productivity of those resources and encouraging a competitive timber processing industry in the province.
In 1976, the Dept. of Forests was renamed the Ministry of Forests (OIC: 3199/76), though the functions of the department remained basically the same.
Scope and content
This series contains subject indexes to the "O Series" of correspondence, ca.1918-1972 and two file directories, 1979-1981 and 1983. Box 1 contains a photocopy of an alphabetical card index to the "O series" of correspondence. Box 2 contains a file directory (updated to 1972) for "O Series" correspondence files arranged as general files, working plans, engineering, farm woodlot applications, public sustained yield units, tree farms and tree farm licences and a Forest Service file directory, 1979-1981 and a Ministry of Forests file directory, 1983. Indexes to forestry correspondence, 1918-1983
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from Project 87, Ministry of Forests, 1983.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accession number(s): G83-042