Title and statement of responsibility area
Deputy Minister general office files
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Provincial Capital Commission
Physical description area
3.74 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
On the first day of March, 1956, an act was passed in the legislature establishing the Capital Improvement District Commission (CIDC). In the beginning the CIDC included representation from the four core municipalities of Esquimalt, Oak Bay, Saanich, and the City of Victoria. Eventually it was expanded to include all of the Saanich Peninsula and the Western Communities as far as Sooke and Port Renfrew. The Commission endeavoured to aid municipal and civic interests by supplying advice, capital funds, and impetus to undertake projects that might not otherwise have been realized. The CIDC’s very first project in 1957 was to improve parts of Victoria’s Dallas Road waterfront at a cost of $65,345. In the fifty years hence, we have committed approximately $19 million for various improvement and beautification projects. In 1977 the CIDC became the Provincial Capital Commission (PCC) and was charged with the stewardship of several provincial properties of historical, heritage, and natural significance, such as the Crystal Garden, St. Ann’s Academy, the CPR Steamship Terminal, and the old Imperial Oil Service Station with its unique art deco tower. The vision of the PCC was expanded again in 2003 to include a broader, province-wide directive to "connect and celebrate the Capital with all British Columbians." Through outreach and education initiatives, the PCC endeavors to foster pride and awareness in all British Columbians in the diverse cultures, rich history, and natural beauty of the province and its Capital City.
Name of creator
The Ministry of Deregulation was established in December 1978. The ministry had the responsibility to cut red tape within all ministries in government. This mandate allowed it to: review all existing legislation and regulations of government for the purpose of ensuring that this legislation and regulations serve a useful purpose; identify those areas of government control which unnessarily inhibit the economic development of the Province and initiate action to rectify these situations; identify those areas of social service which, through unnecessary regulation, inhibit the ability of the individual citizen to receive equitable treatment in reasonable time and initate actions to rectify such situations; identify those areas of inter-Ministry or inter-Government agency activity which inhibit the timely completion of work and initiate actions to rectify these situations. The ministry worked in cooperation with government since this ministry did not have a large staff. Its work was completed by a Deregulation Board reporting to the Minister and chaired by the Deputy Minister and composed by a select group of senior ministry officials and private sector specialists; a small ministry staff who performed administrative support and acted as a clearing house for suggestions; and project teams involving short-term seconded personnel from various minsitries and agencies who work with selected private sector specialists. The ministry was originally created with a maximum term of 2 years to complete its tasks. The ministry was dissolved in 1979.
Name of creator
The Ministry of Recreation and Conservation was established in 1976 as the successor to the Dept. of Recreation and Travel Industry (OIC: 3199/76). The mandate of the Dept. of Recreation and Conservation, from 1957 to 1967, included the management and administration of fisheries, culture and heritage, parks, community programs, and recreational facilities. In 1978, the ministry was divided into 3 divisions: conservation, culture and heritage and recreation. Conservation consisted of the Fish and Wildlife Branch and Marine Resources Branch. Culture and heritage consisted of the Cultural Services Branch, Heritage Conservation Branch, and Library Development Commission. Recreation consisted of the Provincial Parks Branch and Recreation and Fitness Branch. The Ministry of Recreation and Conservation was disestablished in 1978 (OIC 3018:78) and its functions were dispersed among seven ministries: Ministry of Deregulation; Ministry of Economic Development; Ministry of the Environment; Health; Ministry of Lands, Parks and Housing; Ministry of Provincial Secretary and Government Services; and Ministry of Transportation, Communication and Highways.
Name of creator
The Ministry of Highways and Public Works was established in 1976 as the successor to the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3199/76). The ministry was responsible for all matters relating to the acquisition, construction, repair, maintenance, alteration, improvement and operation of government buildings, highways and public works. The ministry organized itself into a section for highways and another for puboic works. Each section was managed by an assistant deputy minister. In 1978, the Ministry of Highways and Public Works was renamed the Ministry of Transportation, Communication and Highways (OIC 3018/78) when it acquired the transportation, commercial transport, and communications functions from the Ministry of Energy, Transport and Communications (1976-1978).
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services. In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection. In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division. In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
The records in accession 92-6573 were donated to the British Columbia Archives in 1995 and 1996 by Joan Giles, the widow of George Giles.
Scope and content
Series consists of general files created by George Giles in his capacity as an employee of the Department of Public Works and as Deputy Minister of the Department and later Ministry of Public Works. The files cover the period from 1958 to 1992 and include records relating to daily affairs of the ministry as well as files relating to major public works projects including the British Columbia building in Vancouver, the Vancouver court house and the Legislative precinct in Victoria. In addition there are files relating to the formation of the British Columbia Buildings Corporation (BCBC), files relating to the Ministries of Deregulation, Recreation and Culture and Highways and Public Works, and files relating to the Provincial Capital Commission and its work. There are also some personal files interspersed throughout the series. The records are not arranged according to any particular filing or classification system.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and access may be restricted. Please contact the BC Archives to determine the access status of these records
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright belongs to the Government of British Columbia.
No further accruals expected.
Accession number(s): 92-6573
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Provincial Capital Commission (Subject)
- British Columbia. Ministry of Deregulation (Subject)
- British Columbia. Ministry of Recreation and Conservation (Subject)
- British Columbia. Ministry of Highways and Public Works (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Highways and Public Works (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works (Subject)
- British Columbia Buildings Corporation (Subject)
- Giles, George Leslie James (Subject)