Title and statement of responsibility area
Deputy Minister photographs
General material designation
- graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Ministry of Highways and Public Works
Physical description area
1437 photographs : col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Ministry of Highways and Public Works was established in 1976 as the successor to the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3199/76). The ministry was responsible for all matters relating to the acquisition, construction, repair, maintenance, alteration, improvement and operation of government buildings, highways and public works. The ministry organized itself into a section for highways and another for puboic works. Each section was managed by an assistant deputy minister. In 1978, the Ministry of Highways and Public Works was renamed the Ministry of Transportation, Communication and Highways (OIC 3018/78) when it acquired the transportation, commercial transport, and communications functions from the Ministry of Energy, Transport and Communications (1976-1978).
Name of creator
The Dept. of Highways and Public Works was established in 1975 as the successor to both the Dept. of Highways and the Dept. of Public Works. (OIC 3842/75). This was formalized in legislation in 1976, when the the Department of Highways Act was repealed and the Department of Public Works Act was amended as the Department of Highways and Public Works Act (SBC 1976, c. 18). The Dept. of Highways and Public Works amalgamated the functions of its predecessors, the Dept. of Public Works (established in 1908) and the Dept. of Highways (established in 1955). It was responsible for all matters relating to the acquisition, construction, repair, maintenance, alteration, improvement and operation of Government buildings, highways and public works. Later in 1976, the department was renamed the Ministry of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3199/76).
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services. In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection. In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division. In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
The records in accession 92-6573 were donated to the British Columbia Archives in 1995 and 1996 by Joan Giles, the widow of George Giles.
Scope and content
Series consists of photographs acquired by George Giles as Deputy Minister of Highways and Public Works and its predecessor body, the Department of Public Works, from 1973 to 1979. There are photographs taken of the legislative precinct area in 1973 as part of the precinct '73 project as well as a photographic inventory of Victoria properties in 1976 and of models of the proposed Vancouver courthouse ca. 1974. Most of the photographs are colour prints taken during the renovations of the legislative buildings in Victoria 1978-1979, known as project 0490. This project took place after Giles had left Public Works and moved on to the Ministry of Recreation and Conservation. It is not clear how he obtained the photographs, however they are clearly numbered prints made from the same numbered negatives created by the British Columbia Buildings Corporation (BCBC) and described as GR-3267.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
- These records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and access may be restricted. Please contact the BC Archives to determine the access status of these records
- Conservation restriction: material in cool or cold storage is inaccessible.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright belongs to the Government of British Columbia.
No further accruals expected.
Accession number(s): 92-6573
Graphic material may be in cool or cold storage. Contact staff for specific details.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Ministry of Highways and Public Works (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Highways and Public Works (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works (Subject)
- British Columbia Buildings Corporation (Subject)
- Giles, George Leslie James (Subject)