Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1934-1969, 2002-2004 (Creation)
- British Columbia. Division of Tuberculosis Control
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Division of Tuberculosis Control was established in 1935 under the Department of the Provincial Secretary and within the framework of the Provincial Board of Health to coordinate all the resources available to combat tuberculosis in B.C. The administration of all provincially-run tuberculosis treatment facilities, Tranquille Sanatorium, facilities in the Vancouver General Hospital, St. Joseph's Oriental Hospital, and the Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria was transferred to the new Division. In the 1940s, the Division began operating Mobile Chest Clinics that performed x-rays and tuberculin testing in communities province-wide, and also set up a compulsory six-week training course for nursing students. By the 1960s, the Division's main outpatient facility at Vancouver's Willow Chest Clinic examined 45,000 patients a year.
During the 1990s, the Division served as the province's referral centre for the prevention, control and treatment of tuberculosis. Outpatient services were provided through central clinics in Vancouver, New Westminster, and Victoria. The Division also operated Field Operations branches to serve clients elsewhere in BC. It was responsible for an outreach program to provide individualized treatment in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.
By 1997, responsibility for the Division of Tuberculosis Control had been transferred from the Ministry of Health to the BC Centre for Disease Control and the Provincial Health Services Authority.