Series GR-3268 - Education library photographs

A teacher and her class Unidentified group. "High School, Chilliwack, BC."

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Education library photographs

General material designation

  • graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.

Level of description

Series

Reference code

GR-3268

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1872-1971] (Creation)
    Creator
    British Columbia. Dept. of Education

Physical description area

Physical description

213 photographs : b&w

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1920-1976)

Biographical history

The Ministry of Education was established in 1920 under its first name, the Dept. of Education, by an amendment to the Public School Act (SBC 1920, c. 82). The educational system of British Columbia had been founded in the Crown colony period in the Common School Act (1865), replaced by the Common School Ordinance (1869), and administered respectively by the superintendent of education or inspector general of schools, reporting directly to the governor-in-council. The Public School Act (SBC 1872, c. 16) was enacted in 1872, creating a Provincial Board of Education and a superintendent of education reporting to the Provincial Secretary. The Provincial Secretary also doubled as the minister of education until 1924. It was not until the 1920 amendment to the Public School Act that a distinct Dept. of Education was constituted with the functions and responsibilities of education in the province. The Dept. of Education, under the direction of the minister of education, assisted by a deputy minister and superintendent of education, was responsible for the maintenance and management of all normal schools, the issuing of teachers’ certificates of qualification, and advising the Council of Public Instruction on all matters relating to education in the province. Home economics, high school correspondence, recreational and physical education, extension and adult education, and educational reference and school services were added as branches or divisions between 1920 and 1950. The department assumed responsibility for the School of the Deaf and Blind (Jericho Hill) in 1922, the Victoria School of Art in 1938 (closed in 1942), and Vancouver School of Navigation in 1938. In 1942 the Provincial Library and Archives, the Public Library Commission, and the Provincial Museum were transferred to the department from the Dept. of Provincial Secretary. By 1947, the work of the department was divided among the following branches: High School Correspondence Branch, Elementary Correspondence Branch, Educational and Vocational Guidance, Industrial Education, Adult Education, School for the Deaf and the Blind, School Radio Broadcasts, Division of Tests, Standards, and Research, Text-book Branch, Visual Education, Inspection of Schools, and Normal Schools. In 1976, the Dept. of Education was renamed the Ministry of Education (OIC 3199/76).

Custodial history

Scope and content

The series consists of photographs ca. 1872 to 1971 acquired by the Department of Education library for the purpose of illustrating a special historical supplement to the one hundredth annual report. The supplement was published in 1971 and given the title “one hundred years: education in British Columbia.” The photographs include images of schools in British Columbia, school and education officials, children and classrooms and other education related views. Although some of the photographs were from the department library, many were copies acquired from a number of different sources including the Provincial Archives and the Department of Education's audio-visual services.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Accessions transferred from the Ministry of Education between 1976 and 1987.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access


  • No access restrictions apply.
  • Conservation restriction: material in cool or cold storage is inaccessible.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright belongs to the Government of British Columbia.

Finding aids


  • No file list is available.
  • Some item level descriptions and some scans of images are available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

Accession number(s): 198201-048; 198811-003

Conservation

Graphic material may be in cool or cold storage. Contact staff for specific details.

Physical description

Includes 206 b&w photographs and 7 b&w negatives

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: 000654-0001
  • Box: 002328-0001
  • Box: 001187-0001
  • Box: 002328-0005