Fonds PR-1347 - Edward Cridge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Edward Cridge fonds

General material designation

  • textual record
  • microform

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PR-1347

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1835-1918 (Creation)
    Creator
    Cridge, Edward, 1817-1913

Physical description area

Physical description

1.2 m of textual records and 12 rolls of microfilm : negative ; 35 mm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Edward Cridge, the son of John and Grace Cridge was born in Devonshire on 17 December 1817. He attended grammar school in Devonshire and by the age of 19 he was the third master at a grammar school in Northamptonshire. In 1848, he received his B.A. from Cambridge and in the same year was ordained a deacon. He married Mary Winmill in 1854 and shortly after accepted a chaplaincy with the Hudson's Bay Company at Fort Victoria where he arrived on 1 April 1855. The Victoria District Church, first opened for worship in 1856, was designated the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Columbia in 1865, at which time Cridge was made Dean. Dean Cridge became involved in a theological controversy with his Bishop George Hills in 1872, which resulted in Cridge joining the Reformed Episcopal Church in 1874 and a year later Cridge was elected to be their bishop. On 16 January 1876 the Church of Our Lord was opened with Bishop Cridge as its rector, a post he held until 1902. He died 6 May 1913.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of personal correspondence, appointments, testimonials, certificates, accounts, sermon notes, diaries, notebooks and photographs of Edward Cridge.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available for MS-0320.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Archives code(s): MS-0320; MS-0420

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: A01977
  • Box: A01978
  • Box: A01979
  • Box: A01980
  • Box: A01981
  • Box: A01982
  • Box: A01983
  • Box: A01984
  • Box: A01985
  • Box: A01986
  • Box: A01987
  • Box: A01988