Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1850-1851 [Photocopied 193-] (Creation)
- Hudson's Bay Company. Fort Chipewyan
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Fort Chipewyan was initially a North West Company fort established on Lake Athabaska in 1788 (Northeastern Alberta). The site was taken over by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1821 after the merger of the two companies.
Fort Chipewyan was a central part of the fur trade in the Athabasca District throughout the 19th century, acting as district headquarters from 1821 to 1837 and 1839 to 1917. It was a site visited by missionaries to the area as well, with Methodist Reverend James Evans visiting the fort in 1841, Father Alexandre Taché visiting in 1847, and Anglican Archdeacon J. Hunter visiting in 1858.
In 1939, all the HBC buildings were demolished, except the chief factor's residence. From 1959 to 1987, Fort Chipewyan fell under the control of the Northern Stores Department. In 1987, the northern stores were sold to the Hudson's Bay Northern Stores (later called North West Company).