Fonds PR-1683 - Fort Victoria fonds

Register of land purchases from Indians

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fort Victoria fonds

General material designation

  • textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

PR-1683

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1844-1860, 1877-1895 (Creation)
    Creator
    Hudson's Bay Company. Fort Victoria

Physical description area

Physical description

24 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Fort Victoria was established as a Hudson’s Bay Company trading post by James Douglas on March 14, 1843 and became the headquarters for western operations of the Hudson's Bay Company in 1849. The original structure was a 100-yard-square enclosure that lay within the boundaries of present-day Government, Wharf, Broughton, and Bastion streets in the area known by the local First Nations as “Camosack.” The fort is notable for being the first European settlement on Vancouver Island and was known briefly as Fort Albert and Fort Camosun before being renamed in honour of the young Queen Victoria. Victoria Harbour was favoured over Esquimalt Harbour as the location for the fort due to the gently sloping land that surrounded the area and was suitable for agricultural purposes.

The last of the remaining fort buildings were demolished in November 1864.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of correspondence, account books, letterbooks, and fur tariffs of Fort Victoria and the Victoria Land Office of the Hudson's Bay Company. Fonds include a register of land purchased from Indians near Fort Victoria and a record of agreements with Indians at Fort Rupert, Nanaimo, Barkley Sound and Port Alberni.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

See series MS-0772 for details.

Restrictions on access

There is no general access to the original version of MS-0772.
For A/B/20/Vi3F (correspondence outward 1844-1849) use transcripts in A/B/20/Vi3FA
For A/C/20/Vi2 and Vi3 (correspondence re V.I. Colony 1850-1859) use transcripts in A/C/20/Vi2A and A/C/20/Vi3A
For A/D/20/S2t/J (correspondence from Fort St. James to HBC Victoria 1890-1892) use transcripts in A/D/20/S2T/JA

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Some series and item level descriptions are available.

Associated materials

MS-2774, Fort Victoria schools

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Archives code(s): MS-0772; MS-2040; A/B/20/Vi3F; A/C/15/H86; A/C/20/Vi2, A/C/20/Vi3; A/D/20/S2T/J; A/D/20/Vi9

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area