Title and statement of responsibility area
Fred Smith Vancouver radio collection
General material designation
- sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on the name of the collector and the collection contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1961-1974 [date recorded] (Creation)
- Smith, Frederick Abraham, 1913-1975
Physical description area
93 audio reels : 4 track, mono : 18 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds comprises sound recordings of [over 800 hours of?] selected Vancouver radio and television broadcasts, recorded off-air between November 1961 to November 1974. The recordings include many popular and topical public affairs and open-line programs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Received from Mrs. Fred Smith [via the Hon. Grace McCarthy?], 1980-04
The BC Archives acquired 93 of the 133 tapes in the collection. The collector's original order and tape numbering were retained, however -- along with the numbering gaps left by the absent tapes that weren't acquired -- and the base number T3675 added to the collector's numbers. For example, Fred Smith's tapes 0001 and 0002 were not acquired, so the first tape in the collection is his number 0003 -- now known as T3675:0003.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Reference cassette copies (T3675:0001 - 0006, 0008 - 0009, and 0012 - 0014 only) available in containers 000443-216 to -219.
Restrictions on access
No access restrictions apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
- Copying Restriction: No copying permitted.
- Use Restriction: Not for broadcast or commercial use.
- Copyright Status: Copyright remains with the various source broadcasters.
Detalied contents list on file for each tape retained.
No further accruals are expected.
Archives code(s): Collection description was previously numbered AAAB4069.; Fonds description was previously numbered AAAA8112.
Accession number(s): T3675
Sound recording originals may be in cool or cold storage. Contact staff for specific details.
The original tapes were recorded at a variety of speeds: 4.75, 9.5, and 19 cm/sec.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- CBU (Radio station : Vancouver, B.C.) (Subject)
- CBUT (Television station : Vancouver, B.C.) (Subject)
- CHAN (Television station : Burnaby, B.C.) (Subject)
- CJOR (Radio station : Vancouver, B.C.) (Subject)
- CKLG (Radio station : Vancouver, B.C.) (Subject)
- CKNW (Radio Station : New Westminster, B.C.) (Subject)
- CKWX (Radio Station : Vancouver, B.C.) (Subject)
- CHRX (Radio station : Vancouver, B.C.) (Subject)