Title and statement of responsibility area
Historical material for theatrical application
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Photocopied 1977 (Creation)
- British Columbia. Parks Branch
Physical description area
5 cm of textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Parks Branch (also called the Provincial Parks Branch) was originally called the Parks and Recreation Division and until 1957 it reported to the Dept. of Lands and Forests. As of March 28, 1957 the name of the branch changed and began to report to the newly formed Dept. of Recreation and Conservation. The main objective of the branch was to plan, develop and maintain a parks system including camp-site and roadside picnic areas and marinas, capable of meeting the non-urban recreational needs of the people of British Columbia. Lands and waters for the use and enjoyment of the public were obtained, largely through establishing reserves of Crown Lands. When necessary to complete a land system of parks or a water system of marinas, acquisition is by purchase. Occasionally a gift of an area was made by a public spirited citizen.
On December 5, 1978, the Parks Branch was amalgamated with the Land Management Branch and the housing function of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing to form the Ministry of Lands, Parks and Housing.
Scope and content
This series consists of dossiers of photocopied historical material for theatrical application, including: 1. Barkerville, the Cariboo Gold Rush; 2, Fort Steele, the Kootenay Gold Rush; 3. Fort Steele, East Kootenay in the 1880's; 4. Fort Steele, East Kootenay, 1890-1905.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred by the Interpretation and Information Division, Parks Branch, 1978.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
see GR-0354 and GR-0481.
Accession number(s): GR-0318
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Parks Branch (Subject)