Hudson's Bay Company. Fort Simpson (Columbia Department)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Hudson's Bay Company. Fort Simpson (Columbia Department)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1831-1913

History

Fort Simpson was established by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1831 near the mouth of the Nass River, British Columbia. The fort was planned and constructed by Aemilius Simpson and Chief Trader Peter Skene Ogden. Simpson died there in September 1831 and the fort was named in his honour. In 1834 the fort was moved to the Tsimpsean Peninsula. The fort was closed in 1913 and in 1924 the name Port Simpson was adopted for the village in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

1368

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised Khughes 2019-07-03

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

ORACLE database
BC Geographic Names

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places