Part of Walter Moberly fonds
Correspondence outward, 1900, and covering letters.
Gift of R.G. Cairns, Victoria, 1975.
Moberly, Walter, 1832-1915
78 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Part of Walter Moberly fonds
Correspondence outward, 1900, and covering letters.
Gift of R.G. Cairns, Victoria, 1975.
Moberly, Walter, 1832-1915
Part of William Johnstone fonds
Mining reports, agreements, cash books, records of miners' certificates, etc. concerning the Wellington Mines of Canadian Collieries (Dunsmuir), Ltd. Maps transferred to the map collection CM/W1 (accession number M856149).
Johnstone was the district superintendent for the Comox Division of Canadian Collieries (Dunsmuir), Ltd. The records include mining reports, agreements, cash books, records of miners' certificates related to the Wellington Mines of Canadian Collieries (Dunsmuir), Ltd. Maps transferred to the map collection CM/W1 (accession number M856149).
Johnstone, William Wear, 1908-
Part of Arthur Paget fonds
The series consists of 386 colour slides taken or acquired by A.F. Paget between 1959 and 1965. The slides document British Columbia dams and hydroelectric projects at Kitimat Kemano, Peace River and the Columbia River.
The Association of Professional Engineers of the Province of British Columbia [APEBC] had its origins at a meeting held in Vancouver on 1 February 1919. The meeting was called by the Executive Committee of the Vancouver Branch of the Engineers' Institute of Canada. Committee members felt that local engineers, particularly those employed on public works by the Civil Service Commission of Canada, were not adequately paid. The meeting was attended by about seventy local engineers who subsequently formed the United Professional Engineers of British Columbia. Ernest G. Matheson, Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of British Columbia, was elected chairman and president. In March 1919 the name of the new organization was changed to the British Columbia Technical Union [BCTU] and on 1 May of that year it was incorporated under the Benevolent Societies Act. The objects of the BCTU were: to obtain adequate public recognition of technical men; to establish scales of minimum fees for consultants and obtain recognition of the same; to obtain equitable remuneration for salaried technical men and their salaried technical assistants; to secure the consultation and employment of local members of the technical profession for work in British Columbia and to discourage the importation of men for technical work when duly qualified men are available in the province and; to protect the public by encouraging the employment of qualified technical men [B.C. Gazette 1 May 1919, pp. 1394-95]. After labour unrest in Vancouver in June 1919, when a number of members expressed their opposition to militant "unionism," the BCTU changed its name to the British Columbia Technical Association [BCTA]. A major concern of the BCTA was the status of qualified engineers; that is, members of the Association who wished to be recognized as "professionals," equal in status to lawyers, medical doctors, and other professional men. British Columbia engineers achieved this status through the Engineering Profession Act [BCS 10 Geo.V, c.108]. Proclaimed in 1920, the act came into effect on 1 April 1921. The Engineering Profession Act, which was drafted by the BCTA and introduced into the legislature by Frederick W. Anderson, a civil engineer and MLA for Kamloops, established the Association of Professional Engineers of the Province of British Columbia. Under the act, only those who were members of the Association or who were licenced by it were entitled to call themselves "professional engineers" and use the initials "P.ENG." after their names. Also under the act, the Council of the APEBC was empowered to establish professional standards for engineers, evaluate engineers' qualifications, set examinations, issue seals for use by registered engineers, and discipline members. The act was revised in 1948, 1955, and 1979 (when it was renamed the Engineers' Act). This act and the APEBC continue to govern the practice of professional engineering in British Columbia to this day. Records include microfilm copies of APEBC Council minutes (1920-1949) and a copy of the Association's Register of Members (1920-1946). Also included are the minutes of the BCTA and its precursors (1919-1920), records relating to the APEBC's Benevolent Fund, examination papers, and financial reports, along with almost one hundred "Deceased Members" files. The latter document the qualifications and careers of men who were among the first members of the Association. In addition, MS-2237 includes minutes of the British Columbia Engineering Society (1943-1956), a fraternal/educational/professional organization that was incorporated under the Societies Act on 17 June 1943. A "Junior Section" of the BCES was established in 1946 to serve younger professional engineers (i.e. those under 40 years of age) and engineers-in-training. This section became the Vancouver Branch of the BCES in 1950. It operated until March 1956, when the British Columbia Engineering Society was dissolved. Prior to its dissolution, the BCES had published the Blueprint, a monthly journal containing non-technical articles and reports of interest to registered engineers in Western Canada.
Association of Professional Engineers of the Province of British Columbia
Correspondence arranged in subject files, mainly 1962-1964.
British Columbia Federation of Agriculture
Correspondence, minutes (1950-1969), yearbooks and other publications of the parent body; minutes, accounts and correspondence of local chapters.
The British Columbia Home and School Federation was established in 1922 and was based in New Westminster, B.C.
British Columbia Home and School Federation
The series includes minutes, 1918-1956; correspondence 1939-1962; clippings, 1937-1965; cash book, 1918-1941; and files relating to bylaws, membership lists, etc. The series also includes records of the Western Canada Institute for Hospital Administrators and Trustees, 1948 and 1956 and photographs, ca. 1923-1963.
Part of Charles Findlater fonds
The series comprises photographs relating to The Elgar Choir and choir director Charles E. Findlater. The photographs and albums record various trips and choir tours across Canada and overseas, circa 1936-1952.
Part of Chamberlain family fonds
Theophilus Chamberlain: Almanack (diary) 1783; letter (1806) to Titus Smith, civil and militia commissions. James Money Chamberlain: militia commissions. James Robert Chamberlain: diverse memoirs and scrapbooks; "Memoirs during a militia service in Nova Scotia and Canada from 1852-1899"; genealogy of Chamberlain family; miscellaneous notes, including militia commissions; correspondence inwards. Alban Edward Chamberlain: miscellaneous papers.
Chamberlain, James Robert, b. 1846
Part of Chambers family fonds
The series consists of amateur film footage showing Forbidden Plateau Lodge and the Chambers' travels in British Columbia, Manitoba, the United States, and Europe. One film features a puppet show created by Lilian Chambers to promote the Empire Tea Bureau.
Part of Chauncey Donald Orchard fonds
The collection consists of oral history interviews on the development of British Columbia's forest industry, covering the period from the late 1880s to the late 1950s through the first-person reminiscences of 44 individuals. The interviewess were lumbermen, loggers, and government officials associated with forestry. The recordings were made between 1955 and 1963 by Dr. C.D. Orchard, who served as British Columbia's Chief Forester from 1941 to 1958.
The original recordings were made on discs on an Edison Voicewriter dictation machine. The Voicewriter discs were copied to audio tape by the BC Archives in the 1970s.
The interviews are preserved in the form of audio tape copies and corresponding transcripts. Tape recordings exist for all of the interviews except the one with Thomas Roeser (T1888). Transcripts are available for all of the interviews except those with Eustace Smith (T1860) and Frank Kappel (T1889).
The collection also includes a 1958 CJVI Radio recording of Dr. Orchard speaking to the Victoria Men's Canadian Club about the British Commonwealth Forestry Conference.
Orchard, Chauncey Donald, 1893-1973
Part of Cornelius Bryant fonds
Cornelius Bryant emigrated from England in 1856. He taught school in Nanaimo from 1857 to 1870, and then became a Methodist minister, serving in that capacity at Nanaimo, at several places in the Lower Mainland and Lower Fraser Valley, and at Bella Bella, before retiring in 1893. Records consist of correspondence, 1859-1895, including letters of introduction, letters inward concerning family matters and expenses, letters outward concerning the New Westminster congregation and mission work among Natives in the Nanaimo area, and a letterbook, 1870-1895; diaries, 19 August 1856 - 1 February 1857, 1 January 1857 - 6 January 1860 [A01745] and 1 June 1895 - 31 December 1902 (in letterbook, 1870-1895); sermon notes; scrapbook.
Part of Eustace Jenns fonds
The series consists of letters inward to Eustace Alvanley Jenns from members of the family and friends; and one letter outward. The letters are concerned primarily with family matters.
Presented by E.A. Jenns, Vancouver, 1929.
Finding aid: file list.
Jenns, E.A. (Eustace Alvanley), 1860-1930
The Educational Research Institute of British Columbia (ERIBC) was founded in 1967. The institute was a successor agency, to the British Columbia Educational Research Council, an independent association established in 1956 to promote educational research and provide a repository for educational research studies. Based at the University of British Columbia, the council originally consisted of representatives from UBC's Faculty of Education, the British Columbia Parent Teachers Federation, the British Columbia School Trustees' Association (BCSTA) and the British Columbia Teachers' Federation (BCTF). The activities of the council gradually increased as representatives of various schools and school districts were brought in as "supporting members." However, the council was not able to provide services, facilities or funding for educational research to any great extent. Accordingly in 1964 the BCSTA members moved that a new centralized organization to be known as the Educational Research Institute of British Columbia be formed to succeed the council. The resolution was supported by the BCTF and the ERIBC was duly created and incorporated as a nonprofit society in 1967. The main objectives of the institute were to: survey the educational research needs of the province; promote research in education; carry out research on educational issues of broad social implications liase and make available the findings of the educational research studies to all interested educational organizations; act as a 'clearinghouse' of educational research studies being undertaken in British Columbia by issuing suitable publications. During its early years, the ERIBC was principally concerned with raising and providing funds to individuals 1) most of whom were teachers or school administrators. But the mandate of the institute soon widened. In the 1970s it began receiving nonstatutory grants from the provincial government to conduct workshops in small school districts; it was asked to provide reports and assessments of school curricula; it provided contractual reports on special education programmes and advised on a variety of other educational matters. In the 1980s the ERIBC also acted as a technical agency for the Ministry of Education in devising and implementing provincewide Grade 12 examinations. In 1982 the institute amended its constitution to reflect its increased activities. Membership on the ERIBC's Board of Directors was correspondingly broadened to include representatives from the three provincial universities, the B.C. Home and School Federation, the B.C. Association of Colleges, the Association of British Columbia School Superintendents, and the Federation of Independent School Associations, as well as the BCTF and the BCSTA. The economic recession of the 1980s, however, and the provincial government's "fiscal restraint" policies seriously curtailed the ERIBC's activities. The main blow came in Dec 1985 when the government decided to withdraw the grants and the contracts which it had provided to the institute. When other sources of funding and support did not develop, the Board of Directors reluctantly decided to wind up their operations. The ERIBC was dissolved effective 31 Mar 1986. Just before the institute closed, Mrs. Audrey Sojonky, Executive Director of the ERIBC, offered to donate the institute's administrative records to the Provincial Archives. Mrs. Sojonky and the Board of Directors also agreed to turn over the institute's operational records, including its impressive collection of research reports. In so doing, the ERIBC directors wished to continue to facilitate educational research in the province. MS-2209 consists of the complete records of the ERIBC. Included are the institute's minutes (along with minutes of the B.C. Educational Research Council), policy manuals, grant application guidelines, institute research reports (written by ERIBC staff), and contractual research reports. The educational research reports which form the bulk of MS-2209 deal with schools in all parts of the province and cover a remarkably wide and diverse range of topics. Together they constitute one of the most important sources for the study of educational policies and programmes in British Columbia.
Educational Research Institute of British Columbia
Series documents logging and reforestation in many areas throughout the Province, especially Vancouver Island. Several forest companies are represented, including Forest Enterprises, Chameleon Log. Co., Boughey Bay Log Co., Coal Creek Log. Co. et a, and Comox Logging and Railway Company, Ladysmith. Includes images of timber sites; images of stands; forest views; views of disease, insect damage; logging operations, Terrace; logging operations, Sonora; Upper Campbell Lake log booms, Ocean Falls, logging.
Series consists of photographs taken during Mulholland's 1937 trip to Europe. The main purpose of the trip was to research Scandinavian forestry practices. Many of the photographs document this aspect of the trip. Also included are images taken by Mulholland of tourist sites and other sites of interest in Europe, including France and Germany.
A number of photographs documenting forestry practices in the United States are also included, although it is not clear whether Mulholland took these photographs or whether he collected them for research purposes.
The photographs are a mixture of glass plates, nitrate negatives, acetate negatives, colour transparencies and prints.
Series consists of photographs of the Mulholland family, their home at 77 Beach Drive in Victoria BC, holidays at the beach and around BC, Washington and Oregon, their gardens in Victoria, a home in Ladysmith, a trailer used for family holidays, portraits and images of family events and gatherings. Some files also include images of logging or images taken on forestry related visits. These photographs seem to have been interfiled amongst the personal records by the creator.
The series is divided into 57 files.
Part of Hope Brothers fonds
Correspondence regarding collection of overdue accounts; customer accounts; accounts and limited correspondence regarding Hope Brothers as an outlet for Massey-Harris farm equipment; and insurance policies.
Part of James William Jones fonds
The records consists of six volumes of private and official correspondence, inward and outward; miscellaneous papers, notes and speeches and twenty-five volumes [three transfer cases and twenty-two scrapbooks] of newspaper clippings.
Jones, James William, 1869-1954
Part of Islands Trust fonds
Hilary Brown was Chairman of the Islands Trust, 1974-1976. Unit consists of file copies used by the Chairman and includes: minutes of the General Trust, 1974-1976; briefs (3); correspondence; policy statement; review and history of the Islands Trust. Also includes report of the Nature Conservancy of Canada Islands Trust "Natural areas inventory: islands of the Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Haro Strait, British Columbia" (1975); S.G. Preston's 1976 " Study of the agricultural resources of the British Columbia Gulf Islands"; subject files on various islands and collected articles and pamphlets on aspects of conservation.
Brown, Joan Hilary
Part of John Duncan MacLean fonds
Personal correspondence, chiefly concerning Liberal party fortunes around the 1928 provincial election, private memos and reports on provincial taxation and reports on buildings being constructed at the University of British Columbia.
Finding aid. file list.
MacLean, John Duncan, 1873-1948