Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- graphic material
- textual record
- multiple media
- moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Ryan, Jim, 1920-1998
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds consists of photographs and other records from 1908 to ca. 1995, created or collected by Jim Ryan in the course of his career as a photographer. There are approximately 105,738 photographs, mostly black and white and colour negatives, but also including prints, slides and glass slides. The fonds also includes textual records consisting of news stories, copies of Ryan's publications, a few letters and other such material. The majority of the photographs were taken in the Victoria area and include images of the harbour, the city, buildings, events and parks. There are many photographs of British Columbia politicians, notably W.A.C. Bennett, as well as distinguished visitors, federal and local politicians. There are also photographs of local characters, children and ordinary people. Although most of the photographs were taken in the Victoria area, there are occasional images taken in other areas of Vancouver Island as well as some of Ryan's travel photographs. Some of the earliest material relates to World War I and may be Ryan family photographs or items that Ryan collected out of interest.
The fonds also includes motion picture film material, including completed films, production elements, news stories shot for television, and selected reels of footage.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Conservation restrictions apply to material in cool or cold storage, see series descriptions for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
- Copyright assigned to the BC Archives - RBCM in 2006 by Donna Ryan.
- All reproductions must credit Jim Ryan.
Standard number area
Subject access points
- Beacon Hill Park (Victoria, B.C.)--History
- British Columbia--Politics and government
- Victoria (B.C.)--Aerial views
- Victoria (B.C.)--Buildings
- Business enterprises--British Columbia--Victoria
- Victoria (B.C.)--Centennial celebrations, etc.
- Victoria (B.C.)--Central business district
- Victoria (B.C.)--Description and travel
- Victoria (B.C.)--General views
- Victoria (B.C.)--Politics and government
- Victoria (B.C.)--Social life and customs
- Victoria (B.C.)--Streets
- Harbours--British Columbia--Victoria
- Premiers--British Columbia