Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of series
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1921 the British Columbia government established a Supreme Court registry at Merritt, effective May 11, 1921. (Notice given by the Office of the Attorney-General, May 16, 1921, British Columbia Gazette May 19, 1921, p. 1654).
The registrar of the County Court at Merritt at the time was appointed registrar of the Supreme Court.
The Merritt courthouse closed full-time operation on 31 May 2002 but operated as a circuit court of Kamloops between June and July 2002. The courthouse then closed again but re-opened as a permanent circuit court of Kamloops on 10 October 2003 with sitting days starting on 1 February 2004. The successor to the Merritt registry is the Kamloops registry.
Scope and content
The series consists of grants of letters of administration created by the Supreme Court of Merritt between 1922-1981. Typical records include the name of the deceased and the date and place of death, as well as the name of the appointed administrator and their relationship to the deceased.
One volume includes letters of administration by the Official Administrator for the Electoral District of Yale, Merritt court registry.