Title and statement of responsibility area
Miscellaneous engineering photographs
General material designation
- graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1891-1957] (Creation)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services. In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection. In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division. In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
Scope and content
The series consists of photographs of engineering projects managed by the Dept. of Public Works. The photographs consist of both prints and negatives. The projects photographed include bridges and roads and were taken between 1891 and 1957.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from the Department of Public Works ca. 1976.
Negatives have been removed from envelopes with black and white prints, and placed in acid free folders.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
- No access restrictions apply.
- Conservation restriction: material in cool or cold storage is inaccessible.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright belongs to the Government of British Columbia.
No further accruals expected.
Accession number(s): 198203-024
Graphic material may be in cool or cold storage. Contact staff for specific details.
Includes 190 photographs : b&w, 51 photographs : b&w negatives and 2 photographs : b&w glass plates
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works (Subject)