Oakalla Prison Farm

Identity area

Type of entity


Authorized form of name

Oakalla Prison Farm

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



Oakalla Prison farm opened on Sept 2, 1912 in Burnaby, B.C., on a site overlooking Deer Lake. The name referred to the Royal Oak neighbourhood in which it was located. A separate Women's Unit opened in 1940, renamed the Lakeside Correctional Centre for Women in 1975. Between 1919 and 1959, 44 hangings took place at Oakalla. Inmates worked on the farm until the 1970s, and manufactured car licence plates from the early 1930s until 1975. The name was changed officially to the Lower Mainland Regional Correctional Centre in 1970. Oakalla was chronically overcrowded, once holding 1,269 inmates. On June 30, 1991 the facility closed; the buildings were razed and the site became a housing development.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

C Government name

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised PW/KH 2017-01-31




Central Name Authority Files.
Encyclopedia of British Columbia

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places