Fonds PR-2400 - Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate fonds

General material designation

  • textual record
  • graphic material
  • cartographic material
  • architectural drawing
  • technical drawing
  • moving images
  • sound recording
  • object
  • electronic

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • ca. 1828-2018 (Creation)
    Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate

Physical description area

Physical description

Approximately 74 metres of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) is a Roman Catholic religious congregation that was founded in 1816 by Eugène de Mazenod (1782-1861), an aristocrat and Catholic priest from Aix-en-Provence, France. During the French Revolution, Mazenod’s family left their wealth behind and fled to Italy, where they travelled around as refugees. At the age of twenty, Mazenod returned to France, where he became more regularly involved in the church and in charity work. Mazenod was ordained as a priest on 21 December 1811, dedicating himself to evangelizing the poor, imprisoned people, and youth.

Officially founded on 25 January 1816 when Mazenod first invited other priests to join him in his work, the OMI congregation was originally called the Missionaries of Provence. Although initially starting with four members, the community of priests expanded in number and in location, and on 17 February 1826, they received formal approval from the Pope. Officially a congregation, the Missionaries of Provence changed their name to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (Missionnaires Oblats de Marie Immaculée). Over time, the OMI expanded their missionary outreach worldwide. Today, Oblates continue to work in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America. Their motto is, “He has sent me to evangelize the poor” (Evangelizare pauperibus misit me…pauperes evangelizantur).

The OMI’s first foreign mission was established in 1841, when Ignace Bourget, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Montreal, asked Mazenod to send missionaries to Canada. By 1844, ten Oblates were stationed in Canada, and in 1847, five Oblates arrived in what was then the Oregon Country region. Oblate work extended quickly throughout what would later become known as the Province of British Columbia: in 1849, Timothee Limfrit, OMI, built a chapel and school at Fort Victoria; in 1858, Louis d’Herbomez, OMI, established a mission at Esquimalt; and in 1859, Charles Pandosy, OMI, established the Sandy Cove Mission in the Okanagan. More Oblates arrived in the region throughout the remainder of the nineteenth century, and missions were established in New Westminster, the Fraser Valley, Fort Rupert, Williams Lake, North Vancouver, Sechelt, Fort Nelson, Fort St. James, Kamloops, and various other locations. This mission work continued to expand throughout the twentieth century, as Oblates established missions, parishes, schools, colleges, retreat centres, and hospitals throughout British Columbia.

In British Columbia, as in the rest of Canada, a significant portion of the work of the Oblate missionaries was the evangelization of Indigenous peoples. As part of this work, the OMI opened and/or administered ten residential schools in British Columbia. These included:

● Cariboo Residential School (1891-1981): Also known as Williams Lake Residential School or St. Joseph’s, located just southwest of Williams Lake

● Christie Residential School (1900-1983): Also known as Kakawis, located on Meares Island between 1900-1971, then moved to Tofino where it operated from 1971-1983

● St Eugene’s Residential School (1890-1970): Also known as Cranbrook Residential School, located just north of Cranbrook

● Kamloops Residential School (1890-1978): Also known as St. Louis, located in Kamloops

● Kuper Island Residential School (1890-1975): Located on Penelakut Island (formerly called Kuper Island), near Chemainus

● Lejac Residential School (1917-1976): Also known as Fraser Lake School, located at Stuart Lake (1917-1922), and then at Fraser Lake (1922-1976)

● Lower Post Residential School (1951-1975): Located at Lower Post, on Highway #97, just south of the British Columbia-Yukon border

● Sechelt Residential School (1904-1975): Also known as St. Augustine’s, located in Sechelt

● St. Mary’s Residential School (1867-1984): Also known as Mission Residential School, located in Mission

● St. Paul’s Residential School (1899-1959): Also known as the North Vancouver Residential School and the Squamish School, located in North Vancouver

In addition to these ten residential schools, the Oblates administered the Anahim Lake Dormitory (also known as Ulkatcho), funded by the Government of Canada between 1968-1977. The Anahim Lake Dormitory housed children who attended the Anahim Lake Day School.

The OMI Central Government has been located in Rome, Italy, since 1905. Previously, it had been located in France (in Marseilles until 1861, when it was relocated to Paris) and in Liège, Belgium (1903-1905). The central government includes the Superior General, the Vicar General, two Assistant Generals, a number of General Councillors (representing the OMI’s different international regions), a Secretary General, and a Treasurer General. Reporting to the central government are the OMI’s various provincial governments, each lead by Provincial Superiors, which operate in various locations internationally. The Oblate Constitutions and Rules gives each province a great deal of autonomy. Based on civil law, each Province is a separate legal entity.

In Canada, there are currently three OMI provinces: OMI Lacombe Canada (headquarters located in Ottawa), Notre-Dame du Cap (headquarters located in Richelieu), and Assumption Province (headquarters located in Toronto). The structure of Oblate provinces in Canada has changed significantly over the years. Some of the administrative changes relevant to the OMI records held at the BC Archives include:

● 1926 – St. Peter’s Province established

● 1963 – Provincial Delegation of Peru attached to St. Peter’s Province

● 1968 – St. Paul’s Vice-Province established

● 1973 – St. Paul’s Vice-Province becomes St. Paul’s Province

● 1983 – St. Paul’s Province is united with the Vice-Province of Whitehorse to form a new St. Paul’s Province

● 2003 – Reformation of Canadian provinces, leading to the establishment of the OMI Lacombe Canada province

Due to these administrative reorganizations, Oblate missionaries in both British Columbia and the Yukon have reported to the Provincial Superiors of various provinces: St. Peter’s Province, St. Paul’s Vice-Province, the Vice-Province of Whitehorse, St. Paul’s Province, and OMI Lacombe Canada. For a time, Oblates in British Columbia and the Yukon had their headquarters in Vancouver, at the Oblate Provincial House; this location was the previous administrative home to St. Paul’s Province, and later to the BC/Yukon Community of OMI Lacombe Province.

Custodial history

From their dates of creation, records in PR-2400 have been in the custody and control of various OMI administrations. Immediately prior to being donated to the BC Archives, records in the fonds were in the custody of OMI Lacombe Canada and housed at the Oblate Provincial House (also called “The Crescent”) in Vancouver, British Columbia. Most of the records were part of the St. Paul’s Province Archives, which was located at the Oblate Provincial House in Vancouver.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records relating to the missionary work of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI). Most records were created and accumulated by the administrations of various OMI provinces that have operated in British Columbia: St. Peter’s Province, St. Paul’s Vice-Province, St. Paul’s Province, and OMI Lacombe Canada. Additionally, the fonds contains some records created by the administration of the Vice-Province of Whitehorse. Other records pre-date the establishment of OMI provinces in Canada. Materials mostly relate to Oblate missionary work in British Columbia and the Yukon, but the fonds also includes some records pertaining to Oblate work throughout Canada, as well as records pertaining to foreign mission work (such as materials related to the OMI’s Provincial Delegation of Peru).

The fonds is divided into the following series:
● MS-3396 – Mission and school records
● MS-3397 – Personnel records
● MS-3398 – OMI archives files
● MS-3399 – Writing and research
● MS-3400 – Provincial administrative records
● MS-3401 – Indigenous affairs subject files
● MS-3402 – Multi-media [currently being processed]
● MS-3403 – Publications, grey literature, and manuscripts

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records were donated to the BC Archives in two accessions, both from OMI Lacombe Canada. The first accession (2020.1) was donated in 2019, and the second accession (2023.94) was donated in 2022.


Fonds predominately retains the arrangement given to the records at the St. Paul's Province Archives in Vancouver, BC. Files in Series MS-3400 (Provincial administrative records) have been arranged according to their original administrative filing scheme. Lower level descriptions contain more detailed arrangement information, including information on legacy finding aids from the St. Paul's Province Archives.

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script note

The material is predominantly in English, with many records in French, Latin, Spanish, and numerous Indigenous languages. There are also some records in Italian, German, Vietnamese, and Thai. See lower level descriptions for more information.

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Most records in the fonds are restricted while staff complete privacy reviews.

Records containing personal information are handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).

Please contact the BC Archives for more information on obtaining access to these records.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

This finding aid predominantly has file level control.

See lower level descriptions for additional file lists.

Associated materials

Related materials


Further accruals are expected.

General note

Series MS-3402 (Multi-media) is not yet fully processed or described. Please check back for updates.

General note

Fonds formerly listed as PR-0365. Records amalgamated with new acquisition in 2020.

General note

This fonds supersedes MS-1513. Records in MS-1513 were microfilmed in 1977. The originals of that series now form the basis of series MS-3396, which includes those filmed in 1977, plus many accruals and additions included in the years since.

General note

Accession number: 2020.1
Accession number: 2023.94

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area