Series GR-0210 - Pamphlets and brochures from public works files

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Pamphlets and brochures from public works files

General material designation

  • textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

GR-0210

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • ca. 1910 - ca. 1960 (Creation)
    Creator
    British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works

Physical description area

Physical description

32 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1908-1975)

Biographical history

The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services. In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection. In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division. In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).

Custodial history

Scope and content

The series consists of pamphlets, brochures, and advertisements describing products and services offered by diverse companies in connection with Public Works construction and maintenance programmes, from between ca. 1910 and 1960.
The material was culled from the Public Works correspondence files before microfilming.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred by Dept. of Public Works, 1976.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession number(s): GR-0210

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area