Series GR-3020 - Provincial Home for Girls case files and other material

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Provincial Home for Girls case files and other material

General material designation

  • textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1914-1969 (Creation)
    Provincial Industrial Home for Girls

Physical description area

Physical description

Originals, 4 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Biographical history

Established by legislation in 1911 (The Industrial Home for Girls Act) and in 1914, the institution opened in Vancouver at the corner of Cassiar and Union Street, Vancouver. Girls were committed to the home after they were found guilty of incorrigible or vicious conduct, running away, or other crimes or offences (according to section 6 of the Act). During the early years it was administered by the Department of the Attorney General. It was transferred to the administration of the Department of the Provincial Secretary ca.1934. In 1937 the 1912 Act was repealed and replaced with An Act respecting the Industrial School for Girls, and the name was changed to the Provincial Industrial School for Girls (sometimes referred to as the Girls’ Industrial School). In 1946 the school was transferred from the Department of the Provincial Secretary to the administration of the Social Welfare Branch of the new Department of Health and Welfare. In 1959 the school was moved to 3655 Willingdon Avenue in Burnaby, and the name was changed to Willingdon School for Girls (name abbreviated as the Willingdon School). In 1963 the Industrial School Acts were repealed and replaced with the Training Schools Act. In 1969 the Training Schools Act was repealed. The Willingdon School was closed in 1973.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Six case files (1914-1920), one pamphlet, four news clippings (1956-1969) and one letter regarding the school. Also known as Willingdon School for Girls.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred from the Royal British Columbia Museum, 1990.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These records are restricted. Please contact the BC Archives for information about access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


General note

Accession number(s): 92-7883

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area