Title and statement of responsibility area
Public building photographs
General material designation
- graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works
Physical description area
54 b&w and col. photographs
43 col. separation negatives
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services.
In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection.
In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division.
In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
Transferred by the Dept. of Public Works in multiple accessions, ca. 1975. Additional 17 colour prints and 43 colour separation negatives found in the collection in 2021.
Scope and content
The series consists of photographs of public buildings from the Dept. of Public Works. The series includes photographs 1968-1971 of an unused design for the Netherlands Carillion and pictures of the bells before they were shipped to Canada.
The series includes 31 interior and exterior colour prints of the Terrace Vocational School and two oversized matted colour prints of the interior and exterior of the provincial government offices in Oliver.
The series also includes 17 interior and exterior colour prints (13 in card folder frames and four stamped on the verso with "Williams Bros. Photographers Ltd. 555 Granville St., Vancouver, 2, B.C. Phone Mu. 4-8588") and 43 colour separation negatives of the British Columbia Vocational School (BCVS) in Burnaby and a plaque erected by the Municipality of Cranbrook Centennial Committee in 1967.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
- No access restrictions apply.
- Conservation restriction: material in cool or cold storage is inaccessible.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright belongs to the Government of British Columbia.
No file list is available.
No further accruals are expected.
Accession number(s): 197901-099; 197912-008
Graphic material may be in cool or cold storage. Contact staff for specific details.