Title and statement of responsibility area
Public Works contracts and other material
General material designation
- textual record
- technical drawing
- multiple media
- architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works
Physical description area
13.3 m of textual records and plans
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services.
In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection.
In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division.
In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
Scope and content
The series consists of contract sets for diverse public works: buildings, bridges, roads and road works, ferries and ferry facilities, etc. The contract sets, usually signed by the contractor and the minister, often include the notices to contractors as they appeared in The British Columbia Gazette, tender forms, schedules of quantities, specifications, contracts, insurance policies, correspondence, and plans.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred to the Provincial Archives in 1975.
Original file number system maintained, missing files numbers in the range never transferred. In addition, boxes 32, 33 and 34 were never transferred.
Four technical drawings were removed from box 20, file 292 and accessioned as M856043 (registration number 17077B) and catalogued as CM/B1604.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A file list is available: http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Document/Finding_Aids_Atom/GR-0001_TO_GR-0500/gr-0071.pdf
Accession number(s): 75-G-082, M856043
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works (Subject)