Title and statement of responsibility area
Public works records relating to museum and archives
General material designation
- textual record
- graphic material
- cartographic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works
Physical description area
23 cm of textual records, graphic material and cartographic material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services.
In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection.
In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division.
In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
Scope and content
This series consists of records of the Deputy Minister of Public Works as Chairman of the Museum and Archives Steering Committee and the Advisory Committee on Applied Arts for the B.C. Museum and Archives, relating to the design, development and construction of Heritage Court. Includes minutes, memoranda, correspondence, reports, plans, clippings, photographs, drawings, plans, etc.
Immediate source of acquisition
Received from the Dept. of Public Works. Photographs in box 2, file 16 were found in a curator's office in 2021.
In 1981, photographs were removed from their original files and transferred to Visual Records. Plans were transferred to the Map Division. In 2020, the b&w photographs were replaced in their original files with the exception of negatives and coloured photographs.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other acts and access may be restricted. Please contact the BC Archives to determine the access status of these records.
Conservation restriction: Negatives and colour photographs are in cold storage and are inaccessible.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accession number(s): GR-0999, 198111-006; M845079
Negatives and colour photographs are in cold storage and are inaccessible.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia Provincial Museum (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of the Provincial Secretary (Subject)
- Provincial Archives of British Columbia (Subject)
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works (Subject)