Series GR-1962 - Records with regard to reconstruction of Government House

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Records with regard to reconstruction of Government House

General material designation

  • textual record
  • graphic material
  • multiple media
  • architectural drawing

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.

Level of description

Series

Reference code

GR-1962

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1957-1963 (Creation)
    Creator
    British Columbia. Dept. of the Provincial Secretary

Physical description area

Physical description

32 cm of textual records, 6 photographs and 6 plans

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1872-1976)

Biographical history

The Dept. of the Provincial Secretary was established in 1872. Prior to that, the origins of this department was in the offices of the Colonial Secretaries for the Colony of Vancouver Island (1863-1866), the Colony of British Columbia (1864-1866) and the united colony of British Columbia (1866-1871). When British Columbia joined confederation in 1871, the name Colonial Secretary remained in place until April 1872 when a Provincial Secretary was named to assume the duties and functions (SBC 1872, c. 15). The mandate of the Provincial Secretary included all the powers, duties and functions held by provincial secretaries and registrars in other provinces of the Dominion of Canada. They included being the keeper of the Great Seal of the Province, with the authority to issues letters patent and commissions, and being the keeper of all registers and archives of the province and previous governments of the province. As with other departments, it was also the duty of the Provincial Secretary to make an annual report to the Lieutenant-Governor. The first annual report was produced in 1972. At various times, different agencies have been under the direction of the Provincial Secretary such as treasury and audit branches, Bureau of Mines, gold commissioners, Returned Soldiers’ Commission, Provincial Library and Archives, Provincial Board of Health, Vital Statistics, Provincial Home, and others. In most instances these agencies were later transferred to the control of new ministries established to administer the specific function or functions. At various times and for varying periods, the Provincial Secretary was responsible for industrial schools, mothers’ pensions, administration of the Infants’ Act, protection of historic sites, and arbitration of labour disputes. In 1947, the Dept. of the Provincial Secretary administered the Civil Service Commission, Government Printing Bureau, Superannuation Commission, mental hospitals, institution farms, homes for the aged, inspector of hospitals, and the Elections Act. In 1976, with the addition of travel and tourism functions from the Dept. of Recreation and Travel Industry, the Dept. of the Provincial Secretary was renamed the Ministry of the Provincial Secretary and Travel Industry (OIC 3199/76).

Custodial history

Custodial history unknown. Records found in Museum storage in May 1989 and transferred to the Provincial Archives.

Scope and content

The series consists of records created by the Dept. of the Provincial Secretary between 1957 and 1963 with regard to the reconstruction of Government House. The records include correspondence with donors, suppliers and government agencies regarding the rebuilding and refurnishing of Government House after the fire of 1957, including the redesign of the gardens. There are six photographs showing a donated silk carpet, artwork and chairs. The series also includes six plans showing aspects of the house and gardens (including layout and names of plants). The plans have been given the following registration numbers: 24112B, 24113B, 24115B, 24117B, 24114C and 24116C.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred from Provincial Secretary, ca. 1963.

Arrangement

Six plans were transferred to the Map Division and reaccessioned as M89-031.
Six photographs were transferred to the Visual Records Division in 1990 and reaccessioned as 199001-002. They were reunited with their original files in 2017.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no access restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession number(s): G89-044, M89-031 and 199001-001.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area

Related places

Related genres

Physical storage

  • Box: GR1962-0001
  • Box: GR1962-0002
  • Box: GR1962-0003
  • Box: 000072-0001
  • Box: 000072-0002