Title and statement of responsibility area
Reports on bridges and highways in British Columbia and Alberta
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works
Physical description area
5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services.
In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection.
In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division.
In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
Custodial history unknown. Found in the Provincial Archivist's papers in 1973 and originally accessioned as 73-077.
Scope and content
The series consists of 5 volumes created by the Dept. of Public Works in 1943. Volume 1 is a report on bridges on roads in Pacific command; volume 2 is a list of bridges on the Trans-Canada highway from Vancouver to Leanchoil, giving engineering data; volume 3 is a list of bridges on Vancouver island (Victoria to Menzies Bay and Alberni to Parksville); volume 4 is a list of bridges on the Cariboo highway from Cache Creek to Prince George and volume 5 is a list of roads in Alberta, and list of bridges from Prince George to Hazelton.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
There are no access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accession number(s): 76-G-008
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works (Subject)