Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (Victoria, B.C.)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Royal Jubilee Hospital is located in Victoria, B.C. It is the successor to the first hospital in the province, The Royal Hospital, founded in 1859 and operated on the Songhees Indian Reserve. Prior to 1859, Victoria only had a Home Hospital located in a cottage on the corner of Yates and Broad Streets. However, it became clear that the Home Hospital was inadequate, and a Provisional Commission was appointed to acquire a tract of land on the Songhees Reserve. A small wooden building was erected on this site, and this building served as the first Royal Hospital for 10 years. In 1874, a Marine Hospital was built on the same site.
A female infirmary was founded in 1864 in Victoria at the head of Pandora Street, although it soon merged with the Royal Hospital in 1869. All patients were sent to the Pandora Street institution. However, this institution too soon became inadequate in the face of the burgeoning population. The 1888 jubilee of Queen Victoria seemed an appropriate time to consider building a new hospital, and it was decided to “erect a building with all the improvements and accommodations at a cost of about $40,000.” The Provincial Government promised a grant of $20,000 provided that subscription-based fund raising would contribute an equal amount. Architectural plans were chosen in 1889 and the new hospital opened on May 20, 1890. This new building was to be known as the Provincial Royal Jubilee Hospital.
An addition to the building was completed in 1925, and further additions were made in 1941. A year earlier, in 1940, the word “Provincial” was dropped from the hospital’s name and it became known as the Royal Jubilee Hospital. Further upgrades were made in 1962, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1997, and 2002. Finally, in 2011, a new state-of-the-art Patient Care Centre was opened and deconstruction of some of the older hospital blocks commenced.
The Hospital was also known for its nursing school and in 1891, the Royal Jubilee Hospital School of Nursing opened its doors. The first class graduated in 1892, and the last graduated in 1983. In 1930, a nurses’ residence was opened.
Furthermore, 1974 marked the beginning of a participation between BC Ministry of Health and Veteran’s Affairs to provide health services to veterans in residential care. In 1995, a lodge in Broadmead was opened for veterans.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Royal Jubilee Hospital (Victoria, B.C.) (Subject)