Series GR-0306 - Saanich Prison Farm records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Saanich Prison Farm records

General material designation

  • textual record
  • microform

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

GR-0306

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1914-1917 (Creation)
    Creator
    Saanich Prison Farm

Physical description area

Physical description

Originals, 80 cm; microfilm (neg.), 1914-1917, 35 mm, 3 reels [B16172-B16173, B11361(1)]

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

([ca. 1913]-1917)

Biographical history

The Saanich Prison Farm on Wilkinson Road, funded by the Attorney-General's Department, was opened September 12, 1914 [1913?] to house male prisoners doing hard labour on Vancouver Island. It operated from 1914 until 20 November 1917. In 1919, Mental Health Services assumed jurisdiction of the Saanich Prison Farm and renamed the Provincial Mental Home, Colquitz, B.C. (or Colquitz Mental Hospital). The facility was re-established as the Wilkinson Road jail (or Vancouver Island Unit) in 1964. It was expanded and updated through the years and renamed Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The Saanich Prison Farm on Wilkinson Road, funded by the Attorney-General's Department, was opened September 12, 1914 to house male prisoners doing hard labour on Vancouver Island. It operated from 1914 until 20 November 1917. In 1919 it reopened as a Mental Home for the "male criminally insane". GR-0306 contains records documenting the admission and discharge of prisoners, their daily activities and medical needs; account books for the running of the gaol; time books for the guards and gaolers; and a letterpress book of correspondence outward from the warden, J. Munro. Related records: GR-0310 and GR-0349.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred from Dept. of Attorney General.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other acts and access may be restricted. Please contact the BC Archives to determine the access status of these records.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

See GR-2883 for additional records. See also GR-310.

General note

Accession number(s): GR-0306

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area