File MS-2656 - St. Paul's Indian Catholic Church (North Vancouver).

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Paul's Indian Catholic Church (North Vancouver).

General material designation

  • textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Reference code

MS-2656

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1967 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Paul's Indian Catholic Church (North Vancouver)

Physical description area

Physical description

Originals, 19 pages

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Paul’s is located on the Squamish reserve in North Vancouver, and the current building was erected in 1884.

The first church on the site was erected in 1868 by Chief Snatt and the Squamish nation following a period of missionary activity which had commenced in the early 1860s. The original building was said to have measured 16x20 feet. By 1873 the church and associated cemetery were blessed by Father Durieu and dedicated as Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows. In 1881, a 150 pound bell known as Sacred Heart was delivered from Cincinnati and mounted in the church tower, although it currently sits on the church’s west lawn. In 1894, a 600 pound bell was shipped from England, and in 1898 three Sisters of the Child Jesus arrived from France to live in a small cottage on the reserve.

Under the guidance of Father Edmund Peytavin, extensive renovations were undertaken in 1909 and 1910, at which time the church was rededicated as St Paul’s. Further repairs costing $1250 were carried out in 1948 and in 1953 an additional $7700 was spent by the Squamish nation on improvements. In 1959, Durieu Convent, a residence for Native girls that has since been demolished, was erected next to the church. A further $5000 was raised for renovations in 1966 by holding several potlatches.

Custodial history

Scope and content

"St. Paul's Oblate Mission to the Indians, North Vancouver". A history of the church and 19 sheets of photographs produced by the University of British Columbia's School of Architecture.

Received from UBC School of Architecture.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession number(s): MS-2656; 74A-471

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area