Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Star Shipyard (Mercers) Ltd. was founded in 1908 by two Newfoundlanders, Edward Mercer and William Mercer, who had relocated to New Westminster. Incorporated in BC (#10387), the operation was located at 61 Duncan Street, New Westminster (Queensborough), at the east end of Lulu Island. The business continued as a partnership between the two brothers until 1927 when it was reorganized on a limited liability basis after Edward Mercer's sons, W. E. Arthur Mercer and Gordon Archibald Mercer, purchased their uncle's share.
Star Shipyard constructed wooden and steel vessels up to approximately 170 feet (52 meters) in length. They specialized in fishing boats, sternwheelers, tugs and scows for the coastal trade. During the Second World War, warships and other naval craft were constructed for the British, Russian and Canadian navies. The shipyard continued as a family business until 1970 when it was sold to Grant Asplin of Fort Brie, Ontario. As of Oct. 20, 1970 it became Plimsoll Holdings Ltd. The company was dissolved on February 6, 1976.
Edward Mercer died in New Westminster on March 4, 1954. W. E. Arthur Mercer died in White Rock, B.C. on September 7, 1978. Gordon A. Mercer died in New Westminster on May 17, 1985.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Central Name Authority File.
Contents of Star Shipyard (Mercer's) Ltd. fonds (BC Archives).
New Westminster Museum and Archives.
B.C. Archives, Vital Statistics records.
Updated: PWASHINGTON 2015-11-12