Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- textual record
- cartographic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1967 - 1988 (Creation)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1962, the Dept. of Lands and Forests was renamed the Dept. of Lands, Forests, and Water Resources (Department of Lands and Forests Act Amendment Act, SBC 1962, c. 22). At this time, the department was reorganized into three branches: the B.C. Lands Service, the B.C. Forest Service, and the B.C. Water Resources Service.
On December 23, 1975, the Dept. of Lands, Forests and Water Resources ceased to exist. The government established two new agencies, the Dept. of Forests and the Dept. of Environment, to replace it (OIC 3838/75). All activities associated with the forestry function were transferred to the Dept. of Forests (OIC 3849/75, 3868/75). With one minor exception, the remaining functions of the Dept. of Lands, Forests, and Water Resources were transferred to the Dept. of Environment (OIC 3843/75, 3844/75, 3846/75, 3852/75). In 1976, these organizational changes were reiterated in legislation (SBC 1976, c. 18).
Name of creator
The Dept. of Forests was established in 1975 (OIC 3838/75). Prior to 1975, the responsibility for forests in the province was carried out by the Forest Branch under the Dept. of Lands and Works (1871-1908) and later under the Dept. of Lands (1908-1945). The Forest Branch was renamed the Forest Service under the Dept. of Lands and Forests (1945-1962) and retained that name under the Dept. of Lands, Forests, and Water Resources (1962-1975).
In 1975, the Dept. of Lands, Forests and Water Resources, was dissolved, and its functions were evenly distributed between the Dept. of Environment, and Dept. of Forests. As a result, the Forest Branch and all forestry functions were transferred to the newly established Dept. of Forests. It was responsible for the management of forest and range resources of the Crown and the planned use of such land in accordance with the Forest Act and Department of Forest Act. The department was also responsible for encouraging maximum productivity of those resources and encouraging a competitive timber processing industry in the province.
In 1976, the Dept. of Forests was renamed the Ministry of Forests (OIC: 3199/76), though the functions of the department remained basically the same.
Name of creator
In 1976, the Dept. of Forests was renamed the Ministry of Forests (OIC 3199/76). The Ministry of Forests was responsible for the management of forest and range resources of the Crown and the planned use of such land in accordance with the Forest Act and Department of Forest Act. The department was also responsible for encouraging maximum productivity of those resources and encouraging a competitive timber processing industry in the province.
The functions of the Ministry of Forest remained basically the same for the next ten years. Up until this 1976, the Forest Service remained a distinct service within the Ministry, and was led by the Chief Forester/Chief Executive Officer. The executive of the Forest Service was composed of the Chief Forester/CEO, Assistant Chief Forester (Operations), Assistant Chief Forester (Resource Management), Director of Services and Director Range Branch.
In 1977, the divisions included: Reforestation, Forest Service Training School, Inventory, Resource Planning, Special Studies, Engineering, Information, Comptroller, Protection, Administration, Valuation, Personnel and Research. The forest districts were: Vancouver, Kamloops, Prince George, Nelson, Prince Rupert and Cariboo.
The passage of the Forest Act, the Range Act and the Ministry of Forests Act in 1978 completed a transformation of the BC Forest Service into the Ministry of Forests. The reorganization that followed replaced forest districts with forest regions, however, the boundaries and the names remained the same. Central services were provided to the forest regions by the headquarters in Victoria. Four divisions included Finance and Administration; Operations; Timber, Range and Recreation; and Forestry. An assistant deputy minister headed each Division and reported to the Deputy Minister. Under each of these divisions were a series of branches, each headed by a director. The Operations Division was responsible for all of the forest regions. Two exceptions were the Information Systems Branch and the Strategic Studies Branch, whose directors reported directly to the Deputy Minister. The goal of this reorganization was to decentralize decision-making and centralize support services.
In 1986, as a result of government reorganization, functions relating to Crown lands, taken from the Ministry of Lands, Parks and Housing, were merged with all forestry functions. As a result, the Ministry of Forests was given the new name Ministry of Forests and Lands (OIC 1491/86).
Name of creator
In 1986, the Ministry of Forests and Lands was renamed from the Ministry of Forests (OIC 1491/1986). As part of this reorganization, the functions relating to Crown lands were taken from the Ministry of Lands, Parks and Housing and merged with with this new ministry. The ministry was responsible for the management of crown land resources of the Crown and the planned use of such land. The department was also responsible for encouraging maximum productivity of those resources.
The Ministry was organized into four divisions, each led by an assistant deputy minister. These divisions included: Forestry; Timber and Lands Marketing; Forests and Land Operations; and Management Services.
The Assistant Deputy Minister of the Forestry Division was also the Chief Forester. The Forestry Division's branches included: Integrated Resources (Planning, Recreation and Range); Inventory; Research; Silviculture; and Protection. The Forest Regions were the responsibility of the Forest and Lands Operations Division. The Timber and Land Marketing Division consisted of two distinct sections: Timber (Timber Harvesting and Industry Development and Marketing); and Lands (Land Policy, Land Acquisition and Marketing, Surveyor-General).
This reorganization expanded the responsibilities of the former Ministry of Forests to include activities relating to the marketing, settlement, surveying, and disposal of Crown Lands.
In August 1988 the Ministry of Forests and Lands reverted to the name Ministry of Forests. Responsibilities for Crown lands were transferred to the newly established Ministry of Crown Lands (OIC 1305/1988).
Scope and content
The series consists of timber sale harvesting licences (TSHL), and one timber sale licence, from the MacKenzie Forest District. These records document the Government’s administration of timber licences during the period of 1967-1988.
Timber sale harvesting licences were first introduced in 1967 and provided individuals and businesses with a permit to cut a volume of timber. Series consists of records relating to the following timber sale harvesting licences:
Although the series consists primarily of timber sale harvesting licences, there are also records from timber sale licence A07739. Timber sale licences provide an applicant with the right to cut in a geographic area.
The series contains files of development plans, annual reports and exhibit A charts for the licences. The files do not contain the original application for a licence. The development plans contain forest company reports, maps and correspondence. The annual report files contain forest company reports on annual activities, maps and correspondence. The exhibit A files consist of correspondence, clearance forms and maps.
Ministries responsible and the dates that they were responsible for creating the records include:
Dept. of Lands, Forests and Water Resources, 1967-1975
Dept. of Forests, 1975-1976
Ministry of Forests, 1976-1986
Ministry of Forests and Lands, 1986-1988
The records have been classified under classification 19590 in the Forest Operational Classification System (ORCS).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A file list is available. File list titles are based on the contents of the files and the ministry’s own file list.
The ministry has retained the “A” number register that is an index to these records. This register provides additional information about the licences. Researchers should contact the Forest Branch directly to view the register if they looking for a list of licences from a specific geographic area or a licence held by an individual or business.