Title and statement of responsibility area
Tranquille Sanatorium records
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Tranquille Sanatorium
Physical description area
Originals, 26 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Located at the mouth of the river of the same name on the north side of Kamloops Lake, 10 km west of Kamloops, Tranquille was established as a tuberculosis sanitorium, the first one west of Ontario, in 1907, with the British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society as the owner/operator. Although privately owned and operated, regulations for its governance and management were promulgated by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council. The unofficial name from 1910 to 1918 was the King Edward Sanatorium or King Edward Memorial Sanatorium. In 1921 it was purchased by the BC government, and administered by the Dept. of the Provincial Secretary. In 1935 it was administered by the Tuberculosis Control Division, Provincial Board of Health. In 1946 administered by the Dept. of Health and Welfare. In 1959 Tranquille was converted to a facility for the mentally and physically handicapped, dropping the word ‘’sanatorium’’ from the name. The institution closed in 1984.
Scope and content
In 1907 the British Columbia Anti-Tuberculosis Society built the Tranquille sanatorium for the care of persons afflicted with Tuberculosis. The provincial government purchased the sanatorium in 1921 from the Society. This unit includes a small amount of material from the pre-1921 period (1909-1920).
This unit includes records of the Anti-Tuberculosis Society, correspondence of the medical superintendent of Tranquille Sanatorium with his counterparts at many sanatoria in North America and with the Deputy Provincial Secretary. The reports of the Central Council of the Tuberculosis Division and the Coordinating Committee at Tranquille give a good picture of life in the institution, as does the file labelled "Pests". The lectures and examinations for student nurses give a useful view of the understanding and treatment of the disease. The unit also includes packages for various departmental conferences in the 1930s which show how the various branches of the Department of the Provincial Secretary were coordinated.
In 1958, when it was no longer required as a tuberculosis hospital, Tranquille was transferred to Mental Health Services.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are restricted. Please contact the BC Archives for information about access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
- Finding aid: file list with introduction.
Accession number(s): G84-011