Title and statement of responsibility area
Treasury Board letters
General material designation
- textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works
Physical description area
34 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Dept. of Public Works was established in 1908 with the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1908, c. 41). The Dept. of Public Works was a successor to the Lands and Works Dept. The mandate of the Dept. of Public Works included construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings, public highways, bridges, wharves, river-bank protection, and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services. In 1947 the work of the department was divided into district offices, an Architect’s Branch, Accounting Branch, Engineering Branch, and Equipment Branch. The department was also responsible for boiler inspection and electrical energy inspection. In 1955, the responsibility for highways was transferred to the newly formed Dept. of Highways. At this time, the Dept. of Public Works, under the revised Department of Public Works Act (SBC 1955, c. 65), consisted of the Architectural Branch, Boiler Inspection Division, Electrical Energy Inspection Division, and Gas Inspection Division. In 1975 the Dept. of Public Works was dissolved and its functions were merged with the functions of the Dept. of Highways to form the Dept. of Highways and Public Works (OIC 3842/75).
The records in accession 92-6573 were donated to the British Columbia Archives in 1995 and 1996 by Joan Giles, the widow of George Giles.
Scope and content
Series consists of copies of letters sent to the Treasury Board by the Minister and Deputy Minister of the Department of Public Works from 1972 to 1976. The letters were kept in binders by fiscal year and arranged alphabetically by subject. These copies were kept by the Deputy minister George Giles and consist of requests to Treasury Board for the approval of funds to complete various projects.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and access may be restricted. Please contact the BC Archives to determine the access status of these records
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright belongs to the Government of British Columbia.
No further accruals expected.
Accession number(s): 92-6573
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- British Columbia. Dept. of Public Works (Subject)