Series GR-0129 - Tuberculosis Control Division director's records

Chinese St. Joseph's Oriental Hospital

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Tuberculosis Control Division director's records

General material designation

  • textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

GR-0129

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1940-1959 (Creation)
    Creator
    British Columbia. Division of Tuberculosis Control

Physical description area

Physical description

5.6 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Division of Tuberculosis Control was established in 1935 under the Department of the Provincial Secretary and within the framework of the Provincial Board of Health to coordinate all the resources available to combat tuberculosis in B.C. The administration of all provincially-run tuberculosis treatment facilities, Tranquille Sanatorium, facilities in the Vancouver General Hospital, St. Joseph's Oriental Hospital, and the Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria was transferred to the new Division. In the 1940s, the Division began operating Mobile Chest Clinics that performed x-rays and tuberculin testing in communities province-wide, and also set up a compulsory six-week training course for nursing students. By the 1960s, the Division's main outpatient facility at Vancouver's Willow Chest Clinic examined 45,000 patients a year.

During the 1990s, the Division served as the province's referral centre for the prevention, control and treatment of tuberculosis. Outpatient services were provided through central clinics in Vancouver, New Westminster, and Victoria. The Division also operated Field Operations branches to serve clients elsewhere in BC. It was responsible for an outreach program to provide individualized treatment in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.

By 1997, responsibility for the Division of Tuberculosis Control had been transferred from the Ministry of Health to the BC Centre for Disease Control and the Provincial Health Services Authority.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The series consists of correspondence and subject files of the Director of the Tuberculosis Control Division created between 1940 and 1959. The Director's office was located at the Vancouver General Hospital.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Records transferred to the Provincial Archives of B.C. in 1975 from the Tuberculosis Control Office, Vancouver General Hospital.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These records are restricted. Please contact the BC Archives for information about access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession number(s): 76-G-059

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area