Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Victoria High School (Victoria, B.C.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Victoria High School is the oldest public high school west of Winnipeg and north of San Francisco. It first opened in Victoria on the site of the present-day Central Middle School at the top of Moss Street on August 7, 1876 and had a class of 12 girls and 22 boys.
The first school was a 2-room log structure but by 1882, the school population had outgrown the building, and the brick Boys’ Central School was built. Increasing enrollment meant that by the end of the nineteenth century, this building too was inadequate, and a new school was opened in 1902. However, by 1912 ground had been broken at Grant and Camosun streets for a new Victoria High School. The building opened in May 1914. With a growing population and a increased need for technical courses, the Fairey Technical-Vocational Unit building opened on the grounds at Camosun and Grant in 1949. The main structure was renovated and enlarged in 1956 and further renovations took place in 1979, 1998, and 2011.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Central Name Authority Files.
Created by: Dennis Duffy.