Title and statement of responsibility area
Victoria Young Men's Christian Association fonds
General material designation
- textual record
- moving images
- multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1906-[ca. 1952] (Creation)
- Victoria Young Men's Christian Association
Physical description area
54 cm of textual records, 3 film reels
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Victoria Young Men's Christian Association was founded in 1884. The scope of the YMCA's activities expanded over the years to include religious and educational training, social and athletic activities, dormitory facilities and numerous boys programmes. In 1961, the Victoria YMCA and the Victoria YWCA began to operate jointly and in 1965 a new building was erected to house both organizations.
The idea for the establishment of a Victoria branch of the Y.M.C.A. was first conceived in the summer of 1884 by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Hills of Columbia, Mayor Fell, Noah Shakespeare, John Jessop, and David Spencer, in consultation with the general secretary of the Pacific Northwest field. As a result of their meetings, two delegates were appointed to the first general convention of the Y.M.C.A.'s western division held in Portland, Oregon. Following this, on November 10, 1884, in rooms on the southwest corner of Government St. and Bastion St., the Victoria branch of the Y.M.C.A. was organized; a board of directors was elected and a ladies auxiliary formed.
On September 15, 1886 the association moved to new and better quarters in Spencer's Arcade, Broad St.; in November 1888 the Hon. John Robson, Premier of British Columbia assumed the presidency. Another move was made on March 8, 1890, to more adequate quarters in the Green Warlock Block, corner of Trounce Ave. and Broad St., where work was carried on with varying success for twenty years. Also in the year 1890, the association was duly incorporated and took its place as a leading popular institution in the city. The organization waned in 1899, and was dormant for two years, then it was re-organized and revitalized.
After many years of planning for a new building, 1909 saw the completion of a campaign which raised $100,306 in fourteen days from some 800 subscribers. Property at the corner of View St. and Blanshard St. was purchased, and construction proceeded. The cornerstone of the new building was laid August 16, 1910, by Sir Richard McBride, and it opened in July 1911. During these years the scope of the Y.M.C.A.'s activities increased greatly, to include religious and educational training, social and athletic activities, dormitory facilities, and numerous boys programs. Throughout the war years, the association provided recreational and other services for the soldiers in the city. Growth of the associ ation continued in the years between the wars, new facilities were added, programs expanded, particularly in the boy's department, and the Y.M.C.A.'s popularity increased. Financial troubles constantly plagued the association through the depression, but it remained active.
The Second World War again saw the Y.M.C.A. involved in providing services and facilities to the military, with a canteen for recreation, and several aid programs for war relief. By the 1960's the Y.M.C.A. had expanded to the point where it was again ready for new quarters. An intensive campaign was begun in 1963, under the leadership of Lieutenant-Governor George Pearkes. The climax of this building program came with the laying of the cornerstone of Victoria's new $1,317,000 Y.M.-Y.W.C.A. facility at Broughton St. and Courtney St. June 26, 1964. The new building housed a gymnasium, swimming pool, restaurant, youth center, lounges, meeting and club rooms, health clubs for men and women, and a residence. The Y.M.-Y.W.C.A's programs extend from social and athletic programs for all ages, to youth camps and educational courses.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes of meetings of the Board of Directors, General Secretary's Reports, financial statements and annual reports. It also includes films showing activities at the YMCA in 1938 and at the YMCA's Camp Thunderbird in 1938 and the early 1950s.
Immediate source of acquisition
Victoria YMCA, 1972 [?] and 1985.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
- No access restrictions apply.
- Conservation restriction: material in cool or cold storage requires special retrieval and handling.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available.
No further accruals are expected.
Archives code(s): MS-0214; F1985:16.
Accession number(s): 72-030; F1985:16
Moving image originals may be in cool or cold storage. Contact staff for specific details.