Series MS-2178 - Woodfibre pulp mill records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Woodfibre pulp mill records

General material designation

  • textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

MS-2178

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1920-1980 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

Originals, 2.18 m

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Donated by Western Pulp Limited Partnership in 1985.

Scope and content

Records consist of They consist of financial records, namely ledgers, 1931-1951; annual reports, 1950-1960; a continuous set of authorizations for expenditure, 1920-1956; daily mill reports and tests of pulp, 1921-1935; Resident engineer's reports, 1964-1971; and various other reports. The large number of technical reports make this group of records interesting to those wishing to study the technical evolution of pulp mills.

In 1911, the British Columbia Sulphite Fibre Co. constructed a pulp mill at Woodfibre, B.C. The plant commenced operation in 1912. In 1917, ownership passed to Whalen Pulp and Paper Co., and in 1925 to British Columbia Pulp and Paper Company. Alaska Pine and Cellulose bought the mill in 1950, and, in 1958, it was taken over by Rayonier Canada. A consortium of three companies, namely British Columbia Forest Products, Whonnock Industries, and Doman Industries bought the mill in 1980, and it became known as the Squamish Mill. In 1983, the Squamish mill, together with the mill at Port Alice, was acquired by Western Pulp Limited Partnership.

Photographs associated with this grouping of records were transferred to Visual Records accession 198407-002; plans of the Woodfibre plant, townsite and community infrastructure, were transferred to the Map Accession M856003).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession number(s): 84-125; MS-2178; 91-8316; M856003; 84-052

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Accession area